1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

2nd Gen lift pump install question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:44 PM

Location: North Haven,CT "Living in occupied teritory" & Barton,VT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Gen lift pump install question?

I got the pump, spacer, fuel line to the filter, whole filter assy, and what looks like a fuel heater off a 96. I know I'm gonna need a regulator of some sort and the Mallory 4307M Fuel Pressure Regulator looks like what everyone is using. Is there anything I'm forgetting that I need or need to do for the installation? Thanks
Old 02-18-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Did you grab all this off a P.Pump motor? I assume you have a high pressure lift pump by your need for a regulator. Other then the regulator it sounds like you have everything you need. Did you grab the wiring and electrical plug for a the 2nd gen fuel pre-heater? That's about all I can think of.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Did you grab all this off a P.Pump motor? I assume you have a high pressure lift pump by your need for a regulator. Other then the regulator it sounds like you have everything you need. Did you grab the wiring and electrical plug for a the 2nd gen fuel pre-heater? That's about all I can think of.
Yea it came off a P-Pump motor. The wiring was cut after the plug for the heater so I only have the plug and about 4" of wire not the whole harness. I figured that was controlled by the 96 computer anyway and I couldn't use it. All of that stuff came as a whole package so I was just gonna take the pump, spacer, fuel line, and banjo bolt and toss the rest. Is there an advantage and a way to use the heater?
Old 02-18-2011, 03:04 PM

Yes you can use the 2nd gen heater, I upgraded my 89 motor to one....and your better off to anyways since the 1st gen units are no longer available. The only difference in installing the 2nd gen heater is that the plug in faces towards the front of the motor, as opposed to the 1st gen pointing backwards. Then cut and hook up the wires...no particular direction since it's a dead short...and your done.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:05 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jer12377
YThe wiring was cut after the plug for the heater so I only have the plug and about 4" of wire not the whole harness. I figured that was controlled by the 96 computer anyway and I couldn't use it.

Is there an advantage and a way to use the heater?
Yes.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...r-t258221.html
Old 02-18-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
Thanks for the link ofcmarc. Looking at that link I'm not sure what I have then. The thing I have is on the suction side of the pump and not above the fuel filter. Its about 3" in diameter and about 2 1/2" tall with two heavy gauge wires going to it. I thought it was a fuel heater. I will try to take a pic of it tomorrow and post it.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:45 PM

This is the thing I thought was a fuel heater on the bottom left in the two pic's
2nd Gen lift pump install question?-injectors-pump-068.jpg
2nd Gen lift pump install question?-injectors-pump-070.jpg
This is the whole assembly
2nd Gen lift pump install question?-injectors-pump-069.jpg
And this is the top with no fuel heater above the filter.
2nd Gen lift pump install question?-injectors-pump-072.jpg

So what do I have?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:09 PM

Attachment 35403

So what do I have?
The part in this pic that is sandwiched between the bowl and head assembly with the connector coming out the left side is the heater element. The setups are different on a 2nd gen but the part can be made to work. Just follow the sticky listed above.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:45 PM

Can I just use this the way it is and hook the wires I have going to mine, to it? That way the only thing I have to modify is the line to the VE pump when I install the regulator.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:51 PM

I don't see why not as long as the holes to mount the thing are there in the head. You'll have to play with the wires for the WIF and heater but that part is easy.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:50 PM

My WIF hasn't worked since I bought the truck, this sensor actually has the wires on it so I might try to make it work. I agree, I think its gonna definitely be easier to mess with the wires than what it takes to make that 2nd gen heater work on a 1st gen. I would assume that the blocks are the same for the mounting holes, they both are 12valve blocks. I guess I will find out. I just got my injectors in on Sat and ordered a fuel pressure gauge from Genos last night. Gonna hook up the gauge first, then the injectors, and then do the pump. I think that will be the best way to do this.
Originally Posted by ofcmarc
I don't see why not as long as the holes to mount the thing are there in the head. You'll have to play with the wires for the WIF and heater but that part is easy.
Here's a pic of the Injectors.
2nd Gen lift pump install question?-injectors-pump-038.jpg
I cant wait to put them in!!!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:33 PM

Can I just use this the way it is and hook the wires I have going to mine, to it? That way the only thing I have to modify is the line to the VE pump when I install the regulator.
Yes, yes and yes....Just install the fuel heater with the electrical connection pointing towards the front of the motor, as I mentioned before, and it installs with no mods other then the wiring. And since it's a heating element you don't need to be specific on which wire goes where.