1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1st time you saw a dodge/cummins?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 09:27 PM
BTM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
1st time you saw a dodge/cummins?

I've always been a mopar fan. I bought a VW diesel in 1985 because of the fuel mileage. I saw the D/C in 1991 for the first time. I had been talking to a guy about a diesel pickup that summer and he told me about the ford.(I knew of the 6.2 from my military days) I met a guy who was a mechanic and he said " the dodge has a REAL diesel in it". I never saw an ad. for it and didn't even know they made them. Rich
Old 12-09-2006, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st gen 1st time

my first time was back when they were new a contractor around here bought one 3500 single wheel he put a v plow on it he opens wood roads he had a gm and a furd with same hookup the cummins was the only one that would start at -30 c thats when i said im gona get one of those some day

that truck is still working the other ones are dead go figure
Old 12-09-2006, 07:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
First time I saw one...I rode it in too. It was a 98 or 99 ext cab long bed 4x4 3500. And had a lot done to it. Once we did some donuts in a parking lot on dry pavement in the middle of summer. I was a believer...need I say more?
Old 12-09-2006, 08:01 AM

Mabey10-15 tears ago i was watching a car show on tv where they had the 3rd cummins off the assy line, It was several years old, and like new, it was a collectors at that point, and it was an auto, They talked about for a half hour, then had it out for a drive, What a great truck i thought, I havent owned anything american or asian for some 15 years now, and the 89 1 ton srw showed up with a good $, so i bought it, I LIKE IT MIKEY ! ! !
Peter.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Chapter President

like 15 years ago when my dad friend's bought a 90'. I didn't know how cool it was then but now i do of course
Old 12-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Banned

first time I ever took notice of one was a straight piped red 2nd gen dualy w/ a loaded 3 car wedge behind it making some RACKET!!!!! I was hooked from that point on
Old 12-09-2006, 10:49 PM

It was 92. Guy down the street from me had just bought a 92 le club cab. I stopped to talk with him, told him what a nice looking old truck he had. He looked at me like i was stupid. It looked like an 80 chevy to me.
We talked for a while and he schooled me on th ctd and i've always wanted one. He still has it and it still looks good. LOL!!!
Old 12-09-2006, 11:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
when i first saw that new body style i hated it and thought it looked gay.
i have gone through 3 of them since.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:27 PM

my grampa bought one a 95 with a stick i thought what a cool truck but my gass would still out run it.....then my dad bought a 97 auto i got to drive it and haul with it better but still not hooked AND THEN he pulled some stumps with it and i'll never forget that day when i heard that turbo scream and saw that sweet sweet CTD come to life.....the rest is history/present
Old 12-10-2006, 12:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First time I saw the 1st gen Cummins truck was back in the late 80's. Was interested in the truck because I noticed the Cummins turbo diesel name plate on the tail gate... Thought it was cool and thought the truck sounded cool as well. It sounded beefy and heavy duty.

The first time I ever rode in a Cummins powered truck was in 92. Brand new truck. I was so impressed that it was my goal one day to get one, but at that time it was WAY out of my price range. I waited till about 2 years ago, and was finally able to afford one at 8K. What a thrill to finally get one.

Back in late 92 I joined the Marine Corps. And my first duty station was in Okinawa. We had a small USMC dozer that was powered by the same 12-valve engine. This was another impressive moment for me regarding the Cummins. It ran and worked very well. I cant seem to remember what type of Dozer this was but looked like a D3?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:59 AM

I've got to tell the story my Dad told me when he bought the one I drive now. He had a lawn care business in which he needed to pull a 28' x 8' bumper pull trailer. Him and his friend had heard about the new cummins in the Dodge pickups and decided that they would go check them out together. Test drive... Going around corner one his buddy was driving...stomped on the go pedal and slid her sideways and did a powerslide all the way to the corner exit. It was at this point that my Dad and his friend looked at each other and said "We have got to have ourselves one of these". His friend bought a new 89 and my Dad bought the 90 that I drive now. It cracks me up to think about this and the fact that my Dad was actually a sucker for horsepower and could not resist the temptation of the cummins beast
Dan
Old 12-10-2006, 04:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My first time was in 1989 when the rodeo riders were using them. I put 500 down on one in 1991. Back then a loaded truck 4x4 2500 was 25,000.00 CDN dollars. I thought about it for the weekend, and figured I didn't want to have a 500 dollar payment for 5 yrs. I went back on Monday, and they gave me my money back.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:17 AM

Fist cummins dodge I ever saw was new on the lot in late '88.
Well anyway a few months later the same dealer does their anual drive & buy sale. (they let anyone with a license & over 18 drive any vehicle on the lot, no questions.) They had a CTD, 5 speed, 2wd truck on the lot that day. that was the first diesel vehicle I ever thought was fun to drive. I've wanted one every since & never been able to afford one. needless to say when I was handed the keys & title to the 91 4x4 I had helped my dad bomb over the years I sure didn't turn it down.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:34 AM

Wink

I was at tsc yesterday,and was offered more for my 93 than I paid for it. The guy said he had wanted one of the older trucks since they came out in 88,but never could afford one. He said now that he can afford one he's having trouble finding one. I told him to check back with me in 15 or twenty years.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:40 AM

Red face

I forgot to mention,I took him for a ride in the 93,and he couldn't believe the power it has. I told him mine didn't hold a candle to some of the others,out there, but it had more than enough power for me.I also told him about this site,so he might be checking in with us someday.

Quick Reply: 1st time you saw a dodge/cummins?