1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1st gen tires and wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1st gen tires and wheels?

My truck came with a matching set of alloy wheels in 16.5 diameter (not sure the width). They all had mismatched tires in 33 x 12.50. Plus two chrome outer, black inner steel wheels with matching new tires. (same size)

I changed to the two steel/ new tires up front and the two best tread depth in the back. One of my rear Tires has a bulge in the outside tread area. Not sure how long it has been there. I'm going to run it as long as possible. I don't go over 40 around town and no highway. I am a little strapped right now, Been looking for a used tire (still legal). No luck, shops all say that it is even really hard to find new 16.5 tires.

They suggest going to 16 or 17 inch rims. I like the 33's but would like to go 35-38 x 12.50 some day. What is the best rim size (diameter/ width) for my truck and tire choice? I only want steel wheels black are my favs but a two tone or chrome would work, any good choices out there? (cheap) I also want a good heavy load range tire, with good all season all terrain tread, which will allow for mud, snow, ice, sand, rocks, water etc.. Been leaning toward Toyo O.C. M/T, LR-E but the price is huge. Any good tire picks out there? Going to stay with 33's till I get some lift. Any ideas?
Old 12-19-2007, 05:02 PM

I know allot of guys running 33 and 35's on a 16" wheel. My theory is the larger they are the more expensive they'll be.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:29 PM

As far as wheels go look for some rock crawler brand wheels. Their a steel wheel, come in many diff. sizes, white, black, or chrome, and are usually around $48 a rim. Hope this info is helpfull. It is all off the top of my head, but check with 4-wheel parts for exact info and prices. Might find some used ones on E-bay. I like Cooper tires. Good price and reliable.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:50 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
The absolute best rim diameter, especially for poor people, is SIXTEEN-INCH.

When you make the jump from 16 to 17, price for the same identical tire jumps about $25.

Used tire racks are standing full of good LT-rated 16-inchers, not so for 17s, and non-existent for 16.5s.

It seems that vehicle manufacturers can't seem to decide on just what 17-inch size they want to use; so, new trucks with 17-inch tires have sizes all across the board, with two identical trucks having entirely different 17-inch tire sizes.

This size variance is part of why 17-inch tires are more expensive; tire manufacturers are still unsure of just what sizes to mass-reproduce, and it costs a lot more to manufacture and warehouse numerous sizes for only one application.

Long story short = get stuck in some little mud-lick town with a bad tire and your chances of leaving with a decent cheap used 16-incher for less than thirty bucks are pretty good.

Get stuck in that same town, needing a good used 17-incher and good luck is all I can say.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:42 PM

35 inch P-metric tires are as big as I've found for 16" wheels. I've had 3 or 4 shops tell me to go up to 17 or bigger to get the taller sizes.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:23 PM

Stick with a 16 inch rim the tires and rims are much cheaper, as for rims u might be able to find a used set and a tire shop or even check craigslist they have some really good deals, if not go to a discount tire and get a price qoute on some rims and then talk them down on it, and if discount wont lower there price any just say oh well ill just go down the street to the next tire shop, but trust me if u tell them that they will drop the price
Old 12-19-2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by matchew
35 inch P-metric tires are as big as I've found for 16" wheels. I've had 3 or 4 shops tell me to go up to 17 or bigger to get the taller sizes.

I have seen 16s as tall as 44-inch in LT LR-D.

I have seen many sets of 15s in size 17-44-15.

You just gotta know where to shop.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:47 AM
Chapter President

Question rim width, style/model/letter designations?

Ok, so 16 sounds like the way to go. How about width? Is there even a choice? What would a 16", 8-lug for my truck be called on a price list? Any funky designations I should know about?

PS - I have no idea about metric sizes, studied a little in auto shop in High School but I am lost these days, any good charts out there that compare the two side-by-side?
Old 12-20-2007, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by dieselcarpenter
Ok, so 16 sounds like the way to go. How about width? Is there even a choice? What would a 16", 8-lug for my truck be called on a price list? Any funky designations I should know about?
Bolt-pattern = 8 on 6-1/2, meaning 8-lugs, 6-1/2" bolt-circle.

PS - I have no idea about metric sizes, studied a little in auto shop in High School but I am lost these days, any good charts out there that compare the two side-by-side?
The metric tire sizing is about the stupidest move the tire industry has ever made; I thought we won both wars, II and Cold.

I get about a hundred calls a day, asking how tall or wide X-size tire is.

If tires were sized with any sense, the size-designation of the tire would give all necessary information.

Example:

265-75-16

265 is section width in millimeters.

75 is aspect-ratio in percent, meaning section width divided by section height (or is it the other way around); anyway, the bigger the aspect-ratio, the taller/skinnier the tire, for a given section-width; in other words, a 235-85-16 is taller than a 235-50-16.

Off-road tires have a much more useful means of tire sizing.

For instance, your 33-12.50-16.5 tires.

Everything you need to know is right there in good old American inches.

Thirty-three inches tall, twelve-and-a-half inches wide, for a 16.5 rim.

Without having to do any calculations whatsoever, we can compare that size to a 31-10.50-16.5, and a 15-38.5-16.5.

Instantly, we know that the 31-10.50-16.5 is two inches shorter and two inches narrower; we also can see that the 15-38.5-16.5 is five-and-a-half inches taller and two-and-a-half inches wider.

Note that on some sizes, the height comes first, and on others, the width is first; I don't know why; that is just the way it is.

Now, which sizing system makes more sense to you guys, the metric or the inches system ??
Old 12-20-2007, 02:46 PM

I have some 39.5x16x16 that I like alot. Not cheap.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:11 AM

265 is section width in millimeters.

"75 is aspect-ratio in percent, meaning section width divided by section height (or is it the other way around); anyway, the bigger the aspect-ratio, the taller/skinnier the tire, for a given section-width; in other words, a 235-85-16 is taller than a 235-50-16."

I thought I read that the middle number is the percent of the first number. 235-wide times 85% for the sidewall height for a 235-85 -16.

I can handle the metric stuff but agree the old inches were easier, esp. for the BIG tires.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:25 AM

Here is the formula :

Aspect Ratio = Section Height divided by Section Width

Aspect Ratio being the second number in the size, such as 235-85-16, the 85 would be the aspect ratio.

This is straight from one of the tire manufacturers guide-books at the shop.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
toyo tires wear extremely fast for cost
Old 12-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Chapter President

Question

So I found a cheap wheel, But they offer them in 16x10, 16x8, 16x7 all on a 8 lug 6.5, back spacing is 4" (whatever that means) which is the right rim for a 12.50 tire? Is the 12.5 the best width for a 33 or 35 tire on a truck of my size? If not wider or thinner? How does one determine the right size tire? Is there weight specs for rims?
Old 12-22-2007, 09:10 PM

back spacing is 4" (whatever that means)

Distance from inside face of wheel-mounting surface to farthest inside lip of rim, meaning if the wheel is laying face-up on a level surface, a ruler poked through the center will show four-inches at the mounting surface.

which is the right rim for a 12.50 tire?

If you always intend to run 12.50s, or wider, get the 10-inchers; if you wish to also have the option to use narrower tires, then get the eight-inchers; the 12.50s will be fine on eights and you can also use them for 235-85-16s.

Is the 12.5 the best width for a 33 or 35 tire on a truck of my size? If not wider or thinner? How does one determine the right size tire?

Too many variables to give a definite answer to that question.

Is the truck lifted??

What is the gearing ??

Gooseneck ??

Work truck or play truck ??

Log-woods or cruising town ??

Personal preferences also play a big role in tire size selection.

Is there weight specs for rims?

YES, usually stamped inside the wheel, in the vicinity of the valve-stem.

Also, ANY TIREs with 50-PSI or more MUST have metal bolt-in high-pressure valve-stems and METAL gasketed valve-caps, none of that pop-in rubber junk---those are for rice-burners.

Quick Reply: 1st gen tires and wheels?