1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1st gen/tekonsha voyager brake control problem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st gen/tekonsha voyager brake control problem!

I have tekonsha voyager 9030 brake contol's in both my 92' W350 and my 93' D250. I am having the exact same problem with both trucks. When applying the truck brakes, you get a terrible pulsation from the trailer brakes and the indicator light on the controller flashes extremely fast from green to whatever shade of red you have it adjusted too. If you manually slide the lever on the controller the trailer brakes function perfectly, so I know it is not a ground or power problem, and I know the feed from the controller to the trailer is ok. I have literally put hundreds of these in, so I know I have it installed right. My theory is I must be having a problem with where the signal wire on the controller is hooked to the cold side of the stoplight switch. I found the wire on the stoplight switch simply by applying the brake pedal and using a test light till I hit one that was hot with the brake pedal depressed and cold when it was not. So what would cause the pulsation? Not enough amps coming from the stoplight switch? Or what? This is getting agrevating. I need them to work. I can get by manually sliding the lever on the controller but that is too confusing for my wife. I tried to call tekonsha technical service but they are closed until wednesday, and tomorrow and My wife is going to be pulling the stock trailer in the morning with the 93' and I will be pulling the 48' step deck with the 92'. Help!
Old 07-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Luke S
I have tekonsha voyager 9030 brake contol's in both my 92' W350 and my 93' D250. I am having the exact same problem with both trucks. When applying the truck brakes, you get a terrible pulsation from the trailer brakes and the indicator light on the controller flashes extremely fast from green to whatever shade of red you have it adjusted too. If you manually slide the lever on the controller the trailer brakes function perfectly, so I know it is not a ground or power problem, and I know the feed from the controller to the trailer is ok. I have literally put hundreds of these in, so I know I have it installed right. My theory is I must be having a problem with where the signal wire on the controller is hooked to the cold side of the stoplight switch. I found the wire on the stoplight switch simply by applying the brake pedal and using a test light till I hit one that was hot with the brake pedal depressed and cold when it was not. So what would cause the pulsation? Not enough amps coming from the stoplight switch? Or what? This is getting agrevating. I need them to work. I can get by manually sliding the lever on the controller but that is too confusing for my wife. I tried to call tekonsha technical service but they are closed until wednesday, and tomorrow and My wife is going to be pulling the stock trailer in the morning with the 93' and I will be pulling the 48' step deck with the 92'. Help!
It sounds like you are far more experienced than me with these controllers, but it almost sounds like you need to adjust it so the brakes come on a little stronger. Since they are both acting the same way, perhaps it has something to do with the way you adjust/set them or where you do it (ie. on a hill)?
Old 07-03-2006, 03:24 PM

I have tried every possible combination of settings and conditions. If you set it high enough it will stop the pulsation, but you are locking up your trailer brakes. It will continue to pulsate as you adjust it down to where you have no trailer brakes left at all. I have been fighting this in my 92' for over a year and I have just been dealing with it. But now that my wife is pulling with the 93', she needs it to work right.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:44 PM

I have the same brake controller and it does the same thing. Maybe it's an anti-lock function???
Old 07-03-2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by spunbearing
I have the same brake controller and it does the same thing. Maybe it's an anti-lock function???

I don't think so, it is so bad it is nearly un-useable on my old trucks. I've had these controllers on brand new trucks and never had a problem. I am confident the problem lies in the stoplight switch, just don't know what it might be?
Old 07-03-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was thinking ABS, too. Fold the glove box back and unplug the ABS 'brain' and see what happens...it's worth a shot for zero dollars and almost zero time. For as simple as the ABS system is on these old trucks, it seems there's no end to the different ways it can fail
Old 07-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Voyager I recenty put on mine acted somehwat similar, just not as harsh as you describe. Very fine adjustment to where it would not lock up unloaded and still have any brake at all. What about setting it down low, then just remember to turn it up after loaded? Temporary solution, but maybe get to where you can have Tekonsha figure it out...
Old 07-03-2006, 04:44 PM

To low of signal? I can't imagine that it would be anything other then 12v and like at least 5 amp capacity, but that would be my best guess as to your problem. Esspetially when both trucks are doing it, you might need some sort of signal amplifier or possibly there is another spot down the line that you can tap into? Like on the other side of the fuse block where it runs to the rear brake lights? I would take a multimeter and step on the breaks and see what signal you are getting both in volts and amps. Then look at the instructions for the controler and see if there is a minimum range needed and if you fall into it.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:55 PM

Here is their Tech Support number: 1-888-785-5832. Call them I'm sure they can advise you on how to fix it faster then us guessing.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:09 PM

Ok, that sound like a place to start. Just remembered something else that doesn't add up. When you are stoped, the indicator light doesn't flash, as to indicated the power is not pulsating? There has to be a simple solution to this? The abs sounds interesting, I may have to look into that. But surely the abs doesn't go through the stop light switch does it?
Old 07-03-2006, 06:16 PM

The only other thing I can think of is that mabey you are getting ABS feed back, or just feedback (not nessecarly from abs) through the ground?
Old 07-03-2006, 08:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dvst8r
The only other thing I can think of is that mabey you are getting ABS feed back, or just feedback (not nessecarly from abs) through the ground?
A Dodge with sketchy grounds?!! Say it isn't so!
Old 07-04-2006, 01:29 AM

My Tekonsha controller has done that a few times and it has always been when I had my flatbed trailer empty, never when it is turned up for a heavy load. I think it has something to do with the pendulim inside the unit itself swinging back and forth rapidly(feedback). I just mounted the controller in a more level position and have not had any trouble since.(it used to be mounted almost straght up and down). Tekonsha has some tips on their website that might help.

Not really a first gen specific problem try RV/towing forum.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:56 AM

Can you describe exactly where you have connected the Tekonsha unit for its input power etc., also where you're picking up the ground from? I don't have a schematic and can't find my Tekonsha controller manual but maybe somebody here can help with that. I agree that this is better posted in the Towing/RV section as more guys there use Tekonsha.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:10 AM

Well, I had a break through! I adjusted the controller exactly backwords from the way they descride doing it in the directions and it worked perfectly. Only tried it on the 93', haven't tried the 92', I'll be trying it in the next day or so. It still doesn't make any sense to me as I have installed and used hundreds of these Voyager 9030 controller's, and never had this experience except for on my pair of first gen's, that is why I posted it here and not in the towing/RV forum. I am gonna mess with them a little more and see what happens. I did try unhooking the abs computer and that had no effect what so ever.