1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1st Gen Radiator Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Gen Radiator Upgrade

Has anyone come up with a replacement upgrade for our stock IC'd radiator? It just seems a little inadequate to me. With me being in the South I'd obviously need to retain my condensor, so let's hear it. I know there is limited space so I was thinking of a 2nd Gen radiator and PS intercooler using elec. fans to save space, but was not sure if the 2nd Gen radiator was really considered an "upgrade".

Anyone have any experience in this area? Especially a radiator upgrade with the PS intercooler.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by justagoodolboy
Has anyone come up with a replacement upgrade for our stock IC'd radiator? It just seems a little inadequate to me. With me being in the South I'd obviously need to retain my condensor, so let's hear it. I know there is limited space so I was thinking of a 2nd Gen radiator and PS intercooler using elec. fans to save space, but was not sure if the 2nd Gen radiator was really considered an "upgrade".

Anyone have any experience in this area? Especially a radiator upgrade with the PS intercooler.

I think someone on here put a 2nd gen radiator in a 1st gen. But I cant remember if they posted pics or details about it. I dont think they did.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by GasganoFJ60
I think someone on here put a 2nd gen radiator in a 1st gen. But I cant remember if they posted pics or details about it. I dont think they did.
Thats what I would thinking. Hopefully who ever it was will post some pictures! Also I think the 2nd gen radiator holds about 1/2-1 gallon more water, so it should have more surface area, etc...

Aaron
Old 01-12-2009, 04:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When My Radiator Was Shot I Bought The Cheapiest One From Napa And It Is Great I Have No Heat Problems At All.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:03 PM

If your willing to spend the money, you might talk to some custom/performance radiator places and maybe see about getting a larger aluminum radiator made.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:44 AM

TTT - Anyone?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I talked with a local radiator shop about 10 years ago about this and he had modified a a '92 cross flow for a customer. He removed the end caps and installed baffles to force the coolant to move in a "s" type path which increased the rads ability to give up heat. The customer was happy with the results. I went back to that shop but it was being run by a major company - one that I was not at all comfortable with as it relates to their ability to do custom work.

While I never had any over heat problems even when towing in 100 degree plus weather I elected to install a Horton fan setup. Temps with this setup - and towing as above maintain at 180 degrees. As an added feature I can turn on the fan prior to starting up a long 6% grade and will still see 180 degrees.

When running on a dyno, fan off, temps will climb over 200 degrees. I inadvertantly left the fan on while doing a run and saw a good 180 degrees. The Horton fan is spendy but will move some serious air.

Bob
Old 01-14-2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Beauchaine
I talked with a local radiator shop about 10 years ago about this and he had modified a a '92 cross flow for a customer. He removed the end caps and installed baffles to force the coolant to move in a "s" type path which increased the rads ability to give up heat. The customer was happy with the results. I went back to that shop but it was being run by a major company - one that I was not at all comfortable with as it relates to their ability to do custom work.

While I never had any over heat problems even when towing in 100 degree plus weather I elected to install a Horton fan setup. Temps with this setup - and towing as above maintain at 180 degrees. As an added feature I can turn on the fan prior to starting up a long 6% grade and will still see 180 degrees.

When running on a dyno, fan off, temps will climb over 200 degrees. I inadvertantly left the fan on while doing a run and saw a good 180 degrees. The Horton fan is spendy but will move some serious air.

Bob
Good info. Is the Horton Supplemental to the stock fan or a direct replacement?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:29 PM

Also, what model fan do you have? I am looking at their website and see several different models.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe that fan isnt putting enough out. i know the 2nd gen radiators are wider but i dont know like the IC or 2nd gens. plastic! my non-ic radiator is sweet! good ol steel and copper! ill try to look up the coolant specs and see if one holds more then the other. if the non-ic is better all you would have to do is get a new thermostat housing/top neck
Old 01-14-2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by NO_SPRK
maybe that fan isnt putting enough out. i know the 2nd gen radiators are wider but i dont know like the IC or 2nd gens. plastic! my non-ic radiator is sweet! good ol steel and copper! ill try to look up the coolant specs and see if one holds more then the other. if the non-ic is better all you would have to do is get a new thermostat housing/top neck
There was a gentleman on here a while back upgrading his non-ic'd radiator to a ic'd radiator because they are crow-flowed and the non-ic's are not. However, I am not a Radiator expert, so someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

Don't mean to hi jack but does anyone make an aluminum rad for the N I/C trucks
Old 01-14-2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by justagoodolboy
There was a gentleman on here a while back upgrading his non-ic'd radiator to a ic'd radiator because they are crow-flowed and the non-ic's are not. However, I am not a Radiator expert, so someone correct me if I am wrong.

At a glance a Non-IC radiator looks smaller than an IC so just that little upgrade would be an improvement, I would think...
Old 01-14-2009, 05:42 PM

Will a second gen fit inbetween the intercooler tubes
Old 01-14-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2nd gen rad wont fit between a 1st gen intercooler

also I did a I/C rad In my non I/C 90 works great no more heating issues