1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

14mm Pump Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is there so much aversion amongst most of the first genners to doing the p-pump swap? Assuming you, or someone you know, can do the swap the right way, why not? Is it just the challenge of trying to make more power with the smaller pump?

Chris
Old 09-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a staunch originality cult in every vehicle enthusiast group I've ever seen that cannot tolerate anything "un"original on their cars, trucks, whatever. This mindset is driven by resale value in the collector vehicle market. They are only in it for the money. They will typiclly deny this to the bitter end, citing love of the cars, etc. but that is mostly B$. They are just driving up the prices trying to make more money in the market.

Personally, I have never seen a vehicle that was so perfect or near perfect in every way that it could not be impoved by some aftermarket or custom mod, so I'm all for it. Whatever makes the vehicle better in the owner's eyes is great AFAIK. Nobody else matters. Just my humble opinion...
Old 09-15-2006, 11:19 AM

I am not saying the p pump is not great, it is, but it is also a huge time consuming challenging install. You need a lot of very costly parts and the donar truck to get them. I am also not sure if your average shade tree mechanic would be comfortable doing it. I would like a cheaper easier alternative. I do not however want reliablility problems. The BD turbo I just recieved is 1/2 of their twin kit. I will need more fuel supply to feed these however. If the 14mm head can be made reliable then I think this would be a great mod. If this can not be made reliable then I will move on.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:38 AM

If you want the top power out of a machanical pump, the the p pump is it hands down!
My self i like the "bump" and it's started!

Being able to take off and drive it ammediately, were as the p pump keep you there for awhile,and thats no evan in cold wether.

cheeper parts when you want to up grade(3200 spring,fuel plate compaired to a turn of a screw! )

just my o2
Old 09-15-2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ace
There's a staunch originality cult in every vehicle enthusiast group I've ever seen that cannot tolerate anything "un"original on their cars, trucks, whatever. This mindset is driven by resale value in the collector vehicle market. They are only in it for the money. They will typiclly deny this to the bitter end, citing love of the cars, etc. but that is mostly B$. They are just driving up the prices trying to make more money in the market.
I can understand that with a numbers-matching muscle car or perhaps an exotic, but not on trucks that we're modifying anyway .

I know the inline pumps are more expensive to add than a 14mm head and can take a lot more work to get the whole system tuned in properly after the swap. I can understand those people limited by a certain budget not wanting to do the swap, and I can respect the guys trying to get all they can out of the rotary just for the sake of doing it. It just seems like a lot of first genners treat the p-pump conversion as sacrilege (not directing this at the guy above, as I understand that comment was made in jest). I don't know - to each his own, I guess .

Chris
Old 09-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, that is where it becomes a really big deal in the muscle car market with aution prices reaching outgrageous levels in the past few years. It is really no issue with our trucks. But as you saw, the tone is still there somewhere, despite the fact that it is obviously a non-issue.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:27 PM

Thumbs up

Well as far as hp goes, the p pump is king, I like the ve as much as u guys do. I was always wanted more an more out of the ve relieing just on fuel alone to lube the pump is the death of the 14mm pumps. The pump has such a high volume they run out of fuel an choke. I hope KTA has good luck getting them to hold, In the long run the p pump is cheaper for now.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:20 PM

there definely comes a time when you have to throw a lot $$$to stay on this side of the fence,... and push it or ....throw a lot of $$$ to get over the fence.

Hope i don't ever have to make that decision!
Old 09-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by GO 4LO
Why is there so much aversion amongst most of the first genners to doing the p-pump swap? Assuming you, or someone you know, can do the swap the right way, why not? Is it just the challenge of trying to make more power with the smaller pump?

Chris
Cost. You need a pump, lines, injectors, lift pump - and a 2nd gen timing case. Then there's the work involved in doing the swap.

The only way I would switch to the P-pump is if the motor blew up. Then I would look for a 2nd gen 12 valve to transplant.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:10 PM

Would it be better to run an inline 12v Hi Perf fuel pump. I think this may supply a larger volume of fuel which is what people are saying the problem is. Is this possible if used w/a presure regulator.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by tboling
KTA had four 14mm rotors left, Bill did his on his own, I was going to buy one from KTA but I'm p pumping mine. U can reach him at diesel central. U should be able to install the rotor your self.
Just to set the record straight Bill did not do his own. KTA built it and Bill put it on. Just FYI

I think they can be reliable with the right set up. You need allot of fuel going to the ijection pump to keep it alive. Just because you can get the fuel it doesnt mean that you can make big numebrs. Bill is a perfect example of this. You have to have the right combination to make big numbers.

500hp with water/meth is no problem you could do that with a stock pump. If you have the air to burn it. I could gain 100hp with a stock pump when I hit the water/meth.

I just built a nice stock pump that should be close to 500hp on #2. It might even be over. I still need to put it on and do some testing. When it was on the test stand it actually supprized me.

Stomp
Old 09-15-2006, 10:43 PM

Stomp

I respect your reply as I envy the numbers you are laying down. As stated earlier my turbo is part of BD's twin kit which I will be purchasing.(eventually, this Cummins is getting expensive ) I want to make sure the fuel is there. In your opinion for the 500rwhp is it necisary for the 14mm head or is it better to just tweak mine(non ic) and use the piston lift pump(on order w/lines,etc.). If you have a recomendation please feel free to share it with us.

All others, keep up the replys as all information is great.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fergavs
Stomp

I respect your reply as I envy the numbers you are laying down. As stated earlier my turbo is part of BD's twin kit which I will be purchasing.(eventually, this Cummins is getting expensive ) I want to make sure the fuel is there. In your opinion for the 500rwhp is it necisary for the 14mm head or is it better to just tweak mine(non ic) and use the piston lift pump(on order w/lines,etc.). If you have a recomendation please feel free to share it with us.

All others, keep up the replys as all information is great.
You dont need to envy my numbers. I dont have those numbers anymore. I am at a somewhat coservitive number right now. I still need to put it on the dyno to find out where is it at.

The 14mm will make it easier to make 500hp, but I was just trying to get accross that you dont have to have it to make 500hp. With the right set up it can be done. Who really cares if its at 400-425hp on #2, but then when you hit the switch it goes to 500-525 with the water/meth. It is still fun to drive and all you have to do is hit the switch.

Stomp
Old 09-16-2006, 03:18 PM

Stomp is killing me.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:08 AM

Any one else know if the elecric pump is a good idea? If so can I just fab a cover for the lift pump hole? I am still not sure about the 14mm mod but regardless a solid flow of fuel to any injection pump cant be a bad thing.

Quick Reply: 14mm Pump Mod