1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

12v 2-stroke oil adding question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Service only specifies 1/3 of an ounce per gallon (about an once per 3 gallons per the label), and that stuff is pretty thin and is supposed to give plenty of lubrication. The 2 stroke oil is way thicker and is designed for lubricity. Running an ounce per gallon is seems to be a waste of money since it's not increasing cetane value.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:44 PM

1 oz per gal. for the pump. The diesel today isn't what it used to be.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by lenuelmp23
What benifits are there to using 2stroke oil in your fuel i have never heard of this? you have peaked my intrest. How much should i use and what does it do?

Its just an added lubrication substitute. Do some searching on this site for more info...

Originally Posted by roxxx
Why would you just dump it in the tank
It's no different than any other fuel additive.

Originally Posted by dzl_damon
Power Service only specifies 1/3 of an ounce per gallon (about an once per 3 gallons per the label), and that stuff is pretty thin and is supposed to give plenty of lubrication. The 2 stroke oil is way thicker and is designed for lubricity. Running an ounce per gallon is seems to be a waste of money since it's not increasing cetane value.
Why would you want to increase your centane if you dont need to? Added centane will only hlep in cold starting and old, wore out diesels. Most refineries in northern states increase centane when the winter months come anyhow.

Wont higher centane decrease fuel economy? (not to sure myself)

I like power service as a performance helper. I noticed my truck has a bit more kick to it when I run power service but nothing quiets the idle and helps my MPG like 2-stroke oil does.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:06 PM

cetane is certainly wanted. The junk they serve here in the US would make most Europeans vomit. We get 40-45 cetane at the pump. There it is never below 50 I believe, maybe even 55, and they can buy "hi test" diesel that is even higher.

lubricity is always a good thing, but there is always a point of diminishing returns (extra money put in now won't yield anymore savings later). That's all I was saying about adding more than needed. I can smell the unpleasant difference when I run 2 stroke oil, vs. if I'm using Power Service or any other similar additive.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can a guy run used diesel oil, or will that just reak?
Old 04-22-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by schamran
?? As in old LSD not ULSD? If it smells sour, I wouldn't put it in my tank. Sour usually indicates fungus that will clog your filters.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by schamran

If you mean used diesel oil as in waste motor oil (WMO), yes you can.
And yes it will stink. A quart or more of WMO will really make the exhaust smell foul. It will also make very hazy exhaust, especially at night among all the headlights.

I run it when I get my hands on it but I dont do it all the time.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:22 PM

I've got about 1 gallon of 2 stroke and 9 gallons of diesel in the old dodge now and its got a really hazy exhaust. Only reason that much is in there is because I drained from from my oter truck which had little diesel and alot of 2 stroke in the aux tank. Once I fill the tank up and it mixes it'll clear up.

I normaly run about 175-200:1 and it makes a noticable difference.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:25 PM

You cant install a pump like the Johnson VRO for 2 stroke for the simple reason its a return fuel system. Fuel from the injectors is circulated back to the tank and before you know it you'd have too rich of a 2 stroke mix. There is no way to keep the oil supply consistant like on a returnless fuel system. Only way to do it on our trucks is mix it in the tank.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:42 PM

I was using 2 stroke for extra lubrication for the IP. If I remember right biodiesel is better lubricity and here in BC as of a couple of months ago all diesel is now 10% biodiesel. Shouldn't that eliminate the need for the added oil?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by BCRick
I was using 2 stroke for extra lubrication for the IP. If I remember right biodiesel is better lubricity and here in BC as of a couple of months ago all diesel is now 10% biodiesel. Shouldn't that eliminate the need for the added oil?
It should. I believe a 5% biodiesel mix added more lubricity than a 200:1 mix of 2 stroke.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:40 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRick
Originally Posted by pwrtripls1
It should. I believe a 5% biodiesel mix added more lubricity than a 200:1 mix of 2 stroke.

I wouldn't trust pump fuel to actually have the ingredient ratios claimed.

I used to haul fuel .

As for the two-stroke oil, for several years, I have been adamantly mixing TC-W3 two-cycle oil with my fuel at 1-ounce per gallon.

1-gallon = 128-ounces; so, that is a 128:1 mix.

Since I quit using any of the paint-thinner diesel additives and started using the two-cycle oil, every aspect of the engine is better; more power, higher MPG, cleaner fuel system, less seal leakage; there are no negative effects that I have experienced.

There are a host of diesel powered trucks and tractors amongst my junk, and every one of them gets the two-cycle mix.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Howdy , bear, like isaid iv'e used atf for several years, I do get better mph w/ it. But i didn't know about the 2 stroke i'm goin give it a try. thanks
Old 04-24-2010, 11:41 PM

I finally added some 2 stroke to my Cummins, I was hesitant at first but this thread convinced me. I just decided to go with 20 fl oz per 30 gallons in my tank to start, but Ill probably go with 16 oz per 30 gallons to make it simple for each fill up with half quart each time.

I know this may be sacrilegious to mention gasoline on this forum, lol, but have any of you Added 2 stroke oil into your Gas powered vehicals? I know gasoline is much drier than diesel, so I figured it might help some. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good Or Bad I have been running 2 stroke oil at a quart to a tank full since I got the truck in 04 and I haven't noticed any hazing other than when I start off with a heavy foot but the only night driving I have done is with the trailer behind me.

Quick Reply: 12v 2-stroke oil adding question