1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

12 Valve vs. 24 Valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 03:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Twitchy
What if someone VE pumped a 24 valve?
I have a little info on that.

The 24 valve head interferes with the pump, so you have to pre-advance it (jump a tooth) and set it in the middle or the full retard position.
You won't be able to advance the pump, but you can retard it.

VP lines are doable with some trickery on the stock VP lines, with tweaked lines and a sleeved nut.
Otherwise it's custom lines with smaller, 12mm (VE sized) line nuts for the head side of the VE.

Since the front area of the head, near the intake, is a bit longer on a 24 valve head, there is no "notch" for the VE pump to drop into, which limits the positioning of the injection pump to half of the normal adjustable travel.

With the longer lines (Ergo, higher volume) of the VP injection lines, timing also needs to be checked and possibly corrected via pop pressures, rather than adjusting the static timing.
Doing so may exacerbate pump wear, due to the (possible) need for the higher pop pressures.

Thanks go to "DIESELWRENCHER" of CompD for the one on one visual of the pump interference I have described herein!

Mark.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonA
After I bought all the 6.7 parts i was a bit upset that I couldn't find one single shop that would wire it up and make it run in the 1st gen. They did me a favor in the long run and I look forward to running it with the p-pump instead. That should fix the electrical and fueling problems and the new rods and girdle should fix the other issue.
Ron your so modest unless we knew who you were we would have no clue you have one of the highest horsepower daily driven rigs!
Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by John_P
---------------
Sorry to bother with you with those links smooth89!

I only posted them because you had asked "What problems are they having?"

no no...no problem at all...those links were interesting and clued me in on what the new trucks are having for problems...I hadn't heard anything yet about their reliability. Where I was coming from on the 1st gen point of view is that our trucks are perhaps some of the most reliable out there...considering their age and makeup and that even the problems that the new trucks have should not be the only influence as to why we appreciate our trucks....but it is a very good reason though.