1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

12 Valve vs. 24 Valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with all of you..definately less parts to go wrong. The main thing that our instructor wants us to look at is the valve train and set up for all 12 and 24 valve engines. However, I figured I would conduct my research on Cummins engines.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:40 AM

Well ladies and gentlemen, I have come to a complicated conclusion on our 12 valves and the newer counterpart, the 24 valve. Our 12 valves are the legendary symbol of reliability and mechanical genious. The 12 valve's design in some respects allows relatively the same amount of air flow if not better within the head through turbulence and valve lift. The 12 valves have a greater valve lift than that of it's counterpart. However, the design of the 24 valve is based on making it more emission friendly. Also in favor of the 24 valve is the new technology we have today. Most modern inline 6 diesel engines are based upon a 24 valve head design. This comes as a result of the electronics age and the great minds of today's engineers that are able to make the electronic components work together with each other. So, each one has their advantages and downfalls, but the downfalls of the 12 valve outweigh that of the 24 valve. My final conlcusion is that we will have to wait for the testament of time. 12 valve diesels that are 30 or more years older are still running strong with the demands of todays equipment. We will see what the 24 valves are like in another 30 years too. But I can gaurantee one thing, the 12 valves will still be running strong along side them.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smooth89
Well ladies and gentlemen, I have come to a complicated conclusion on our 12 valves and the newer counterpart, the 24 valve. Our 12 valves are the legendary symbol of reliability and mechanical genious. The 12 valve's design in some respects allows relatively the same amount of air flow if not better within the head through turbulence and valve lift. The 12 valves have a greater valve lift than that of it's counterpart. However, the design of the 24 valve is based on making it more emission friendly. Also in favor of the 24 valve is the new technology we have today. Most modern inline 6 diesel engines are based upon a 24 valve head design. This comes as a result of the electronics age and the great minds of today's engineers that are able to make the electronic components work together with each other. So, each one has their advantages and downfalls, but the downfalls of the 12 valve outweigh that of the 24 valve. My final conlcusion is that we will have to wait for the testament of time. 12 valve diesels that are 30 or more years older are still running strong with the demands of todays equipment. We will see what the 24 valves are like in another 30 years too. But I can gaurantee one thing, the 12 valves will still be running strong along side them.
Amen to that!
Old 02-10-2012, 04:54 PM

Fwiw, the guy with the stingray orange corvette with a twin turbo p-pumper is building a Ford with a 24v VE.

Posted via Velocity LG ALLY
Old 02-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
-----------------
Good post smooth89! I agree with you 100%!

I for one am NOT a big fan of these new 2012 4th Gen Cummins 6.7 Emissions Engines! No way our older Dodge CTD 12 valve trucks had the multitude of problems these new 6.7's do!

--------
John_P
Old 02-10-2012, 09:46 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Is the 24 valve common rail a multi squirt design, like the powersmoke?

It would be real interesting if one could combine the breathing of a 24 valve with the simplicity of distributor or inline injection.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:10 PM

That is one thing I haven't heard about yet is problems associated with the new 6.7 Cummins engines. What problems are they having?
The following users liked this post:
bushwacker (02-09-2024)
Old 02-10-2012, 11:34 PM

I think you need to mix and match to get the best setup.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:27 AM

Smooth 89.....go check out the third and 4th gen boards, you'l see the problems they are having. I scroll thru them everyonce in awhile, just to make me appreciate my first gen!!!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:52 PM

It sounds like this section is mostly about making more power and running good and the 6.7 section is about keeping their engines runnning. period. haha
Old 02-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Administrator

That is one thing I haven't heard about yet is problems associated with the new 6.7 Cummins engines. What problems are they having?
-----------------------
smooth89:

In the area I live in here are just a few of the issues our Dodge Dealers are seeing:

1.) All kinds of CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS and trouble codes.
2.) Fuel Dilution Issues
3.) Plugged EGR Systems from Heavy Soot
4.) Plugged Intake Manifolds From Heavy Soot
5.) Plugged Turbos From Heavy Soot
6.) Broken Turbo Shafts From Heavy Soot
7.) Bad or Broken Injectors

As DTR Member houndog said, go over to the 4th Gen Section and read some of the threads there. It will make you appreciate our old Cummins 5.9 12 valve engines.

Here is a thread on a turbo failure for you:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=299556

Look at the 6.7 intake manifold in this thread:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...s-t300348.html
Old 02-11-2012, 08:03 PM

After I bought all the 6.7 parts i was a bit upset that I couldn't find one single shop that would wire it up and make it run in the 1st gen. They did me a favor in the long run and I look forward to running it with the p-pump instead. That should fix the electrical and fueling problems and the new rods and girdle should fix the other issue.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:12 PM

hmmmm...thats interesting....and I did take a quick glance at some of the thread titles....all I can say is "unfortunate". And I can reassure you that I don't need to see the problems others are having with their trucks to appreciate my first gen....it goes beyond just that.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:54 AM

Don't forget the the manual lift pumps on the 12 valves are very reliable and inexpensive to swap out.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:03 AM
Administrator

hmmmm...thats interesting....and I did take a quick glance at some of the thread titles....all I can say is "unfortunate". And I can reassure you that I don't need to see the problems others are having with their trucks to appreciate my first gen....it goes beyond just that.
---------------
Sorry to bother with you with those links smooth89!

I only posted them because you had asked "What problems are they having?"

Quick Reply: 12 Valve vs. 24 Valve