1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

02 dodge 1500 cab and box on 92 w250 chasis swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 dodge 1500 cab and box on 92 w250 chasis swap

I own a 92 Cummins at the moment. Bed was completely shot and had hopes to fix the cab but it's rotted so bad it's folding itself in half on the frame. Just found a 2002 1500 single cab long box but I want to know how much I'm getting myself into with gauges, wiring, what to do with emissions, all that b.s. any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by 1stgendreamer
I own a 92 Cummins at the moment. Bed was completely shot and had hopes to fix the cab but it's rotted so bad it's folding itself in half on the frame. Just found a 2002 1500 single cab long box but I want to know how much I'm getting myself into with gauges, wiring, what to do with emissions, all that b.s. any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Ugh, emissions is a non-starter if you have to go thru it. Never was a 02 half ton with a diesel.

Electric will be completely different, I am sure you could kludge most of it together, but it will take some knowledge and a 92 and 02 service manual to figure out what signals are going to have to be provided.

In the end, it will be much cheaper for you to rent a trailer, and drive down to Kentucky or south and bring back a rust free Dodge.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
80s and early 90s Gassers can be had for pretty good prices and the body is a bolt on
Old 02-03-2015, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am well aware it will be one hell of a project but I'm very low on cash and was trying to use what's around me for sale. I found a couple trucks like mine but they needed just as much body work. I was looking at kind of a rat rod build on my frame but that would take more time and money. Just unsure of what to do. The only reason I'm looking at newer styles is because they look awesome with aftermarket things bolted on. But now I want cheapest and quickest. I'm currently driving an 06 charger Daytona in snowstorms. Not fun.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
Ugh, emissions is a non-starter if you have to go thru it. Never was a 02 half ton with a diesel.

Electric will be completely different, I am sure you could kludge most of it together, but it will take some knowledge and a 92 and 02 service manual to figure out what signals are going to have to be provided.

In the end, it will be much cheaper for you to rent a trailer, and drive down to Kentucky or south and bring back a rust free Dodge.
What Pat said much cheaper not to mention easier
The frames are way different for one Body width is likely different also.
the wiring from the first gen wouldn't work. and the wiring from the second gen wont work either. It would be a total nightmare. plus the unexpected parts would cost way more than a truck with a decent (Plug and play body)
P.S I an not one of those guys that just says don't do it because.....I modify almost everything. take a look at my build.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:00 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Second gen trucks are girly.

Seriously, if yer limited on time or money, you need to stick to first gen. It'd be cheaper to travel quite a ways and haul home a solid body than to try to make something that different fit.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,690 Posts
All I seem to do is build crazy Dodge diesel projects.
That being said...

The guys that mentioned finding a good 1st gen body for a donor rather than TRY to make a 2nd gen sheet metal fit on a 1st gen, are trying to help.

What you are thinking of, would take lots more time, [money] and energy than just bolting on the right sheet metal would.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:18 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
I have to join the posy that is telling you not to bother with this potential swap. I, like the others, am not afraid to tackle crazy projects. I Have ventured into what "seems" like it should be a quick and cheap project...only to find out that many times there are a lot of unknown nickle and dime elements that will end up costing you way more in the long run.

We understand that it "appears" that driving to another state to purchase a cheap rust free 80-93 D150 will cost you more, but from our decades of combined experience we can assure you that this is by far the, quickest, easiest and cheapest way to go.

Remember the rule of thumb on working on vehicles...Calculate what you "think" it's going to cost, and the time it's going to take....then double it..
Old 02-03-2015, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Remember the rule of thumb on working on vehicles...Calculate what you "think" it's going to cost, and the time it's going to take....then double it..
Then double it again. Then crumple up the paper and pitch it. You have no idea.

I alone have decades of experience. together we have centuries.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:02 AM
KRB

Received 527 Likes on 366 Posts
And you'll probably have to drive further south than Kentucky to find a good body. They spread salt or brine every time the weather man threatens snow. That said you might could find one that has been babied.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:20 AM

I bought my first gen in Idaho. DW and I hopped on the train to go get it. (We bought the fiver with it)

First thing I did when I got back to Minnesalta was take it to Ziebart and have them do their thing.

Northern Left Coast area gets snow, but it's too warm to bother salting it. Would be a waste. They use pit run gravel instead, which is why you won't see a windshield without a crack in the whole area.

You could buy a gasser on it's last leg, throw in some tans-medic and motor honey and get it home....

Or rent a heavy tow dolly and go drag it home.....probably more reliable.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
And you'll probably have to drive further south than Kentucky to find a good body. They spread salt or brine every time the weather man threatens snow. That said you might could find one that has been babied.
I don't know, even around here, the Dodges have held up fairly well, probably half still on the road are solid. The problem is there just aren't that many of them.