1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

[B]KDP praise, and questions[/B]

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up KDP praise, and questions

First off I wanna say Thank You Very much to just about anyone who contributed to anything KDP related. A couple ideas I found EXTREMELY helpful are,
#1, The "Whack the Fan nut with a punch" idea, it worked like a champ for me, and as stated a couple of whacks and it was loose, no wrench needed.

#2 "The cardboard bolt map" For the bolts holding on the timing cover. Most bolts are the same size, but there are a few that are longer, and of course if you're like me you'll forget where the long one's go when it's time to reassemble!

FWIW, I removed my radiator prior to doing the KDP, I know it's a *****, but your knuckles will thank you!

Now, onto the questions. First off when I pulled the timing cover I noticed that on the crank snout that there are a couple of grooves. I can feel them when I rub my finger over them, so that tells me they are reasonably deep. Is this normal or something to be alarmed about?
Next, I noticed that my crank sensor seems worn on one side. Obviously it was way too close. Add to the fact the truck has a bajillion oil leaks letting the balancer collect oil, dust, dirt, grass seed, etc then in turn rubbing the crank sensor. Question is, should I replace the sensor or might it be fine?

Thanks again for all your help!
I'll try to post a few pics in my gallery
Old 05-20-2006, 05:56 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I would replace the sensor while you're in there. The gap should be set to 0.050 with a non-ferrous feeler gauge.

The grooves are likely to cause the new seal to leak. There is a seal and sleeve kit available to fix the grooves.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:17 PM

Thanks Wanna

You wouldn't happen to have more info on the repair kit for the crank would ya?

Thanks again

Murf

92 W250
Old 05-20-2006, 09:01 PM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Just set your seal a little deeper or less so it will ride in a different position than the old one and it will be fine. If the sensor is working then just readjust it and ride.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by rlyons
Just set your seal a little deeper or less so it will ride in a different position than the old one and it will be fine. If the sensor is working then just readjust it and ride.
Take you old seal, or a large washer, (if you can find a washer large enuff to fit in the seal then, install tool will seat the washer and seal in and be in a smooth spot) just us the install too to seat the seal in, then grind the old seal down so it won't get stuck in the cover and seat it further in!

I would replace the sence tho.