Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Oilfielder's

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oilfielder's

I am looking into this career. What can you guys tell me about this? I knwo they make "good" money but what are the risks, locations, know-how needed, education needed, etc? What is out there?

Jon
Old 11-03-2007, 06:32 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are about 1/2 dozen countries that you CANT work in.

Other than that, anywhere you want to go is open.

starting out, your probably looking at $10 to $20/hour working domestically, on shore.

I was talking with a guy at DFW, one of his buddies is a driller in Angola making $2000/day.

If you work international, you will work 28 on 28 off, plus expenses. Just remember, if your married, your wife isn't going to like the change.

Edit: If history is an indicator, there is only another good 3 to 4 years before there is another slowdown. Work smart, learn alot, be aggressive in upgrading your job.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:54 PM

I am in a job that I have very little advancement. Nice job but family run.

I am will be 20 in April, no GF or wife, so that makes it easier.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:56 PM

Also what exactly do they do? I know they do something with oil but thats it.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:22 PM

Oh geeze.....There are so many different "oilfield" jobs. Everything from worm to company man. then you have the service side of well testing, surveying, etc.

http://www.oilfieldworkers.com/oilrigjobs.php
Old 11-03-2007, 08:49 PM

Come to Alberta and work, we need the labour badly.

Pros: Good money, no shortage of work
Cons: A lot of times you can be in a camp in the middle of nowhere, or at least thats how it seems up here.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:06 PM

Im in the service sector of the industry (Halliburton) and run an acid pump. Theres a couple different jobs we do. One is coil tubing support, pumpong fluid while they drill plugs or fish things out of the hole or do a clean out, etc. Then there are acid jobs and DFITs, which is the part I do. Pump acid downhole or fluid for the DFIT, which is a Downhole Fluid Injection Test; we go out after the well has been cemented and perforated, pump fluid, shut down, and the data we get is used to design the frac. My jobs cake, it couldnt get any easier. Ive been here a little over a year, have had 5 raises, and jumped up to an operator. I enjoy my job. Work two on, one off (in weeks) and get paid for my week off. Benefits are good, pay is pretty decent (yes, theres more to be made out there...) but I actualloy enjoy coming to work...so that one job thats available out there...
Old 11-03-2007, 09:23 PM

Alberta isn't the only place that is short handed.

getting people to work 12 hour days in the middle of no where is a challenge. What other career path will cover all your expenses when your working. meals, hotel, driving to work.

For an example, I was on a job in Wyoming with a couple canadians. they got $400/day everyday they were out of Edmonton, they were paid mileage to drive to Rock Springs, all meals paid, something like $25/day for their travel trailer. Granted, these guys were well testers and well taken care of.

The cons no plugs mentioned can be a benefit, you spend 28 days without spending money.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:29 PM

Need any service rigs down there in Oklahoma? We have 3 nice new service rigs with nowhere to go here in Alberta???
Old 11-03-2007, 09:33 PM

Most of the rigs in my area are small truck mounted rigs.

most wells are shallow gas, low pressures.

I have been bouncing between Norway, UK, and Brunei so much lately, everytime I come home, I see a new rig or a new pad.

Im on the manufacturing side of a service company so I dont really know what the rig situation is here, I just know every one I talk to would like to have a few more people on their staff.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the link fronty!

The oil rig jobs is not what I want to get into.

But obtaining a first aid license would be easy as I am a volunteer for the fire department and they have been bugging me to get a EMT's license, them paying for schooling

But what is a WHMIS license?

Also, how many openings for the entry level jobs? I am a line operator at my current job (food production), have a fork lift license, want to get a CDL Class A, and know how to work on machinery. Any clue guys?

THANKS ALL!
Old 11-03-2007, 09:48 PM

Saskatchewan is the next Oil boom Alberta is on a Slow down for drilling, B.C has alot of Gas Drilling over Oil so we Stay Busy.

Nick.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:12 PM

if your not wanting on the same rig, with the same crew, try Halliburton, Schlumberger, Weatherford, Baker Hughes or some of the other service companies. They are hiring service hands regularly. A truck driving job, well testing, or even running a frac pump truck. there are all kinds of jobs available.

what are you wanting to do?
Old 11-03-2007, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Little03
......Alberta is on a Slow down for drilling.........
Except in the foothills and mountains. They're keeping the big triples busy with re-entries and wildcat wells. Deep hole and wildcat wells is where i usually stay busy.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
Need any service rigs down there in Oklahoma? We have 3 nice new service rigs with nowhere to go here in Alberta???

I think you need a safety guy to go South with them rigs.