12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Yet another tranny thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another tranny thread...

I've done some reading, and have seen a lot about temperature sensors, upgraded valve bodies, increasing the pressure and changing the shiftpoints, etc...

Long story short is I'm picking up my new to me 96 Auto tomorrow. It is an auto tranny with what I assume is the stock one. Has 155k on the clock. I don't tow much, and if I do it will be my snowmobile or four wheeler in the bed, or *maybe* my snowmobile trailer with two sleds in it. I have lots of heavier things to tow, but I can use my dad's 2001 HO for that. I just want to know what is the recommended course of action for making this transmission as reliable as possible. Everyone I talk to hates Dodge's because of the trannies, but loves any Dodge with a manual tranny. I mainly bit the bullet because it seems lik a lot of you guys have found ways to make the auto a reliable daily driver. What would help make this more reliable for occasional light towing, and as a commuter about 40 miles a day?

I was thinking raise the pressure, but how many turns on that screw? One of those manual valve bodies that can be had for 4-500 dollars. Would that help? Would a lockup controller really be beneficial for me? I already ordered a triple pod with tranny, egt, and boost gauges.

Thanks for your help, and patience. Sorry for starting another transmission thread.

Shawn
Old 12-15-2006, 05:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
from what I read a new torque converter and valve body will make a dodge auto tranny a different beast.

I'm also looking to beef up / improve my 96 4x4 2500 Auto tranny.
the cheaper the better.

you might also want to add a fuel pressure gauge to your collection.
like a 0-30psi