12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Would like to learn more about the CTD engine...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would like to learn more about the CTD engine...

I'm currently searching for my first CTD truck. In the forums you can find everything you need about repairing and modding your truck, engine and tranny.

What I am looking for is a good description of how the CTD works. I'm talking Diesel 101 for the CTD. Complete theory, operation. Intake, fuel, mechanical, exhaust. All the components and what they do.

Does anyone know of such a resource? There are a lot of tech schools out there but I'm just looking for a book or website.

After I get my truck I'll create my profile and post an introduction and pics. Can't wait

thanks
Old 12-09-2007, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's actually very simple...

Air is put in the cylinder. It is compressed. The high compression ratio heats the air. Fuel is injected into the cylinder near the top of its travel (but a bit before). The heat from the compressed air is sufficient to ignite the fuel. The resulting quick combustion of the fuel results in substantial additional gasses in the cylinder, push it back down, and the cycle repeats.

The turbo charger just takes energy from the exhaust gasses to shove more air into the cylinders on the intake stroke.

The engine is regulated by the amount of fuel injected at that critical moment. More fuel = more power, so the engine will produce more power.

All components of the engine simply work to achieve this basic operation - for example, the fuel filter cleans fuel so that parts have a longer serviceable life, clogging doesn't happen, etc. The lift pump delivers fuel to the high pressure injection pump, the (hp) injection pump meters and delivers fuel at high pressures through the injectors to the cylinders. ...Everything has a purpose to achieve the basic principle (or perform it to a higher degree of precision to achieve a more desired/efficient/etc. result than a cruder system).

Hope that helps.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 12V 5.9 is an in-line 6 cylinder. It's a very reliable tried and true engine that creates a lot of torque. This was one of the last mechanical fuel systems before they went to the computer. Grid heaters are used to heat intake air rather than the use of glow plugs. Never use starting fluid on a cummins.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:29 PM
C2O
Banned

Originally Posted by TIMMY22
Never use starting fluid on a cummins.
now thats something that should be taught in the school of today
Old 12-09-2007, 09:15 PM

It all depends on where you live. I went to a technical college and went through their diesel classes. The class tought me how to completely take apart a whole truck, and put it back together again. Then drive it away. If you want to learn about mods, and other performance goodies on your truck, I learned all I know from this and many other forums on the net. Keep lookin' and you will find them. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:56 AM

I'm a new guy to diesels also. Been going to:
www.dodgeram.org
click on diesel engines and read on. Also all of the info I read here helps alot!

Ken