12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Won't start engine was sitting for 4 months..

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Won't start engine was sitting for 4 months..

I changed my fuel filter & filled it up with diesel. Bypassed the fuel heater ( lift pump goes right into the fuel filter). primmed the system till I heard the wierd whinning noise at the ip. I cracked open the first line at ip/delivery valve.

I have no fuel coming out of the ip.

the fuel lever is up. I took off the electric shut off just to make sure that is not the problem.

I did alot of primming and crancking. About 2-3 hours worth. Finally I got this whinning noise at the pump. I figured it should have fuel there but no fuel coming out of the pump.

Yea I was searching this before I posted. I did read about the air (15 psi) Good idea. Well I did get fuel at the top of the filter. I will crack the line right before the ip And see if I am getting fuel/air there.

I will be working on this tommorrow morning and need to get it running. So I want to make sure I got all my bases covered so I can try these out tommorrow.

Also you said crack the injection lines. I got the first one at the pump cracked and I see not movement of air or fuel. I figured I would see either air or fuel movement. Bubbles or something. Maybe I am wrong......

Anyone have any idea what is going on??????

Thanks Joe
Old 11-14-2007, 06:29 AM

You primed it with the using the plunger at the lift pump ? I had a few lift pumps that when they were dry needed a nice injection of diesel .
If you think it's sucking air ...hook it up to a bottle at the lift pump .

greg
Old 11-14-2007, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try cracking the line at an injector.

Between the fuel filter and the lift pump and the lines, you have a ton of air in the system. Try 5 psi at the tank while you pump and or crank with an injector cracked.

Next time I would do it in 2 steps.

1. Bypass Fuel heater first (leave the old filter to pick up any contamination).

2. After starting and purging the air out, shut down and Change the filter.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:18 PM

Well After screwing with it for anouther day it finally runs I took all the lines off at the delivery valves and nothing. After that I shut the return line. I got constant pressure at lift pump. Then I cranked and crack the return line. Fuel but no start. Then Finally after cranking and checking I got some white/brown/ugy fuel stuff. After that I closed the lines and opened all the injector lines till it got the garbage out. Really nasty from sitting. After that I closed all the lines and cranked and cranked for about 20 sec. Nothing. Removed 2 lines and was getting fuel...... hhhhhmmmmmmm...... nothing....
Then I tightened the lines again....nothing just cranked........

HAD ENOUGH.....NEED SOME HELPER

While she was cranking I hit it with 1/2 sec of parts cleaner.......almost.........crank again.......1/2 again better.........almost stall and 1/2 sec........running weak but running for 30 secs....

Notice oil at turbo everywhere....shut down.

Turbo line shot. Got temp line and tried again. nothing....

Had her crank it 1/2 shot again and runs weak like before but now it will atleast run.

Let it sit 1/2 hour and tried it again........finally it will idle and trottle is there and seems to run ok... Now I will wait till tom and see if it will start nicely.

So in the end it was old fuel,water,dirt,slime that was there.

So now we will see what is next.....
Old 11-15-2007, 08:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SO whats the verdict is she purring like a kitten again?