12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Where have some of you found your low mileage 2nd Gen 12 Valve trucks??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got mine on Ebay, don't appear to have been modded but down side had been on a snow plough in Iowa so got a bit of the old rot in the rocker panels - a job for the near future I fear. Paid $11.5K with 160,000 on clock. Bought my wifes Chevy 3600 from Kansas and no rot at all, just surface rust, would only buy another from somewhere dry.
Although if I get my way I won't be bringing anymore motors back here but come and join you instead.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by bobem12
You and me both. On my 24 valve I've done VP44, rear brakes, ball joints, AND had to have the trans rebuilt and I've only had it a matter of months. Had a gooseneck in the bed and signs that it had gauges and a programmer(bolt plugging the manifold where the egt probe would go, hey at least I won't have to drill and tap it when I get gauges) and I still bought it. Never again. But its running ok now just waiting for the next thing to go wrong
Could've been worse... It's not even just about buying a modded truck. Any high mileage used truck will have its share of problems. If I ever buy another vehicle, I'll either save up for new or won't buy one with very many miles. Yeah, if you take care of them these Cummins engines will last forever (knock on wood) but what about the rest of the truck?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:40 PM

I got my 96 with 205K on it all stock no mods at all. one week to the day the T-case went and it has all been down hill since. I have replaced and upgraded T-case, Trans, SB Con FE, ball joints, tie rod ends, 3rd gen track bar. DSS steering brace, Electrical all over, axle shaft U-joints, starter and the list goes on and on. and now just rebuilt a motor to put in it to replace the one that had straight water in it for years and corroded and was causing lots of probs, such as leaky head gasket, then the thermostat stuck shut while I was filling up and it got so hot and built so much pressure that it started blowing water out between the head and block. replaced that, drove it 2 days and turbo blew and had to pull it all back apart and clean it out and do it all again. then I found a lot of oil in the water so I just rebuilt a spare motor that I had to salve all the probs but have to sell it now because I bought a 08 while it was down. I average 1000 miles a week so I find probs fast. None of the probs had any thing to do with PO mods it was just an old work truck that had not been cared for but I got it dirt cheep. The crazy thing is that I spent more on keeping that truck on the road in 1 year than the payments on the 08 for one year and it has had no down time.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by 13FOX
Try the Diesel Man !!!! cannot remember his webpage but heres a listing on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...mZ400022492573
Watch yourself i would not even buy a used lawn mower from this CROOK look at his feedback i have checked him out before nothing but a bunch of overpriced painted over and dolled up stuff from what i have seen.
He is also a real dink to try and work with !!!!

I had to really do my homework on my last two long distance sales but it sure payed off if you look in my gallery you will see the 96 i got last March in Neveda from the original owner for $6900 with 120k on it and 1500 miles on the new BFG commercial grade tires. Those two pictures are 2 weeks before i picked it up i really did not care for the decal/stripe on the side but the rest of the truck is so nice i can live with it.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:27 PM

Found mine in Ft. Worth, Texas which is nice since I live here. Had 72,500 on the odometer, grille guard, deep tool box, hide away gooseneck, trailer brake controller, fiberglass running boards, and factory alarm. Driver side bed has faded paint because the truck was so long it stuck out of his carport and it was the south side of the truck. No rips,tears, or stains in the interior. Truck was bought at an estate sale and the previous owner had been deceased for 10 months. I had been looking for about 8 months when I found this one and the search was over. I have put about 2500 on her and have not found any problems. So far so good.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:05 PM

nice find!!!

very_low miles... be sure to get your Killer dowel pin fixed ASAP!!!

be a shame to lunch out that low mileage motor over a low $$$ fix (<$50 seal kit)

Originally Posted by Texan4life
Found mine in Ft. Worth, Texas which is nice since I live here. Had 72,500 on the odometer, grille guard, deep tool box, hide away gooseneck, trailer brake controller, fiberglass running boards, and factory alarm. Driver side bed has faded paint because the truck was so long it stuck out of his carport and it was the south side of the truck. No rips,tears, or stains in the interior. Truck was bought at an estate sale and the previous owner had been deceased for 10 months. I had been looking for about 8 months when I found this one and the search was over. I have put about 2500 on her and have not found any problems. So far so good.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:55 PM

I did see mine advertised on this site, but it was posted by the friend of a guy who isn't online (I know because he wasn't very good at email)
I did go to Oklahoma to get it...couldn't find comparable here in CA for 3-5K more, and that was from dealers (I've never bought a new vehicle and I just won't buy a used one from a dealer..I don't know enuf)

Truck had 183K miles, second owner pretty much used it around town and with his hunting dogs. Truck ran perfectly when I bought it and had had some rear end work, tranny seals done. Did have front crankseal leak and hydroboost leak. Completely stock, not even kdp done.

I got it, drove great for 1-2K, now have replaced alternator, 2 batteries, starter, fuel leak (front end), just did kdp and now doing ps/vp rebuild.

Options I added:K&N FIPK, 4WD posilock, nerf bars and truck box, manual towing mirrors, wired a tow receptacle.

Don't even want to mention what else could go wrong, but I have faith in the engine.
Seller disclosed leaks before sale, and I don't think he could have forseen the other problems.
I have always said, buy a good used vehicle and be ready to do all the routine repairs. If it isn't worth commiting to those repairs, shouldn't be buing the vehicle. Maybe self fulfilling prophecy...but at least I'm not overly upset about it...on the other hand, this has all happened in less than 24mo of owning the truck, so I figure (hoping) Im about done...

I want to do some minor towing mods, but
Old 01-15-2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Texan4life
I have put about 2500 on her and have not found any problems. So far so good.

I should learn to leave well enough alone. Just replaced the 2 front tires as the both developed a bubble in them and were about to seperate. Oh well, at least they gave me enough warning to get to a tire shop.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:26 AM

I had the dowel pin let go and crack my timing cover at 79k miles.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:02 PM

I found mine all dusty at a little dealership in town. I went and looked and it was in perfect shape, interior was spotless except for the headliner sag and it only had 125,000. Drove it and bought it the next day for 7500. And then had to do the transmission a month later haha. Oh well it needed to get done anyways.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:20 PM

Where have some of you found your low mileage 2nd Gen 12 Valve trucks??

I bought my low mileage 98 12v right from the dealership! In 1998 brand new. 20 miles or so on it. Sorry...... I thought it was funny.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:30 AM

yes funny...you are a lucky..well, smart guy!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by MK ULTRA
Seems that most everything for sale on this site has been modded and run to death.
The same thing can happen with a 100 percent stock truck, my new 97 has 138K and is as immaculate as they come, 1 owner, 138K miles.

I have to fix 5th gear, and now replace the flywheel because the PO, who wasn't a car guy let his mechanic choose the brand of parts.

So instead of fixing 5th gear on the original trans, he stuck in a rebuilt that 5th went 500 miles later, and the clutch and starter the guy got from Auto Zone. Now I have a tooth missing on my flywheel.

It's all good though, as long as I can limp it through the rest of the winter, I will spend the money for a SB DD3250 clutch, and a quality starter.

I guess my point is, anything used is a stab in the dark, I guarantee you, if I am ever forced to get off this 5 speed truck, it will be far more reliable than it would have been stock.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:20 PM

Bought mine from a older gentleman with 62K on it about 4 years ago.

Paid 14,500 for it stock other than the stock plate skid forward.

It know has 120K on it
Old 03-27-2009, 02:17 AM

in Tulsa, OK... selling my 97 CTD 4x4 auto with 130k miles .. new Nitto 10 ply tires... this 97 CTD is bone stock except for KDP killed and 215 injectors.

very solid truck! ready to drive across country...
only reason selling is I just purchased a 96 CTD 4x4 stick.

Asking $10,900... please PM for more information.

Quick Reply: Where have some of you found your low mileage 2nd Gen 12 Valve trucks??