12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Where have some of you found your low mileage 2nd Gen 12 Valve trucks??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where have some of you found your low mileage 2nd Gen 12 Valve trucks??

Seems that most everything for sale on this site has been modded and run to death.

I bought a truck on here a few months ago and Now I'm having to put an engine in it. Just had 192k miles on it.

I know it was my fault but it's HELL to learn the hard aka EXPENSIVE way.

I won't buy one again that was modded.

YOu can tell the ones on this site with problem trucks.

They all want to trade their truck for yours.

Hopefully after an engine, waterpump, new radiator, belt, hoses....STRAIGHT STOCK ENGINE NEVER MODDED ENGINE with 100k miles on it. I'll be good for 300-400k miles.

Great site.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:01 PM

I have never looked at one of these websites because they tend to be populated by people who like to mod their trucks. I have found both of my trucks on autotrader. The really important thing is to be patient and not jump on the first truck if it doesn't seem right. If you are willing to walk away after a test drive, then you stand the best chance of getting a good truck.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dartmouth 12V
I have never looked at one of these websites because they tend to be populated by people who like to mod their trucks. I have found both of my trucks on autotrader. The really important thing is to be patient and not jump on the first truck if it doesn't seem right. If you are willing to walk away after a test drive, then you stand the best chance of getting a good truck.

Exactly. The best people to buy diesel trucks from are people who are retired and travel a lot. Their vehicles are always well maintained and have seen pretty much nothing but highway miles.

Find yourself a Winter Texan...
Old 01-08-2009, 05:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That's how I got mine, it was the only used truck on the lot with no 5th wheel or goose neck hitch in it. Also good signs the truck was worked. I found mine at the Chevy truck dealer here in town lol.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought my 99 dually and my 96 ext cab both from the original owners i had to go to Texas for the dually it was used mainly on the highway to get to work and once in a while to pull his dads gooseneck trailer . I went to Nevada for the 96 he was a retired man and it was garage kept no mods carpet and oem floor mats covered from day one. Both are very nice rust free trucks with good dash boards no ripped seats and the price's were excellent well worth the trip !!
It takes a lot of looking and digging to find them like that also a little luck and to be the first one in line really helps as i have missed a few too
Old 01-08-2009, 06:20 PM

What failed in your engine at 197K?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:36 PM

found my 97 12v with 96k miles in Tulsa, OK

low mileage 12v comes up regularly around here. best to look on craigslist.

Paid $11,500 2 years ago for mine... now they are selling for 1/2 that.

ran into a clean 97 4x4, ext cab, auto, 160k mile for $5500... original unmodded. that was last month in Claremore, oK

would have purchased it myself... if it had a manual tranny
Old 01-08-2009, 06:53 PM

It blew a head gasket shortly after I bought it. It never got hot.

When I had the rebuilt heat put on there was a strange sound coming from the engine. Gut that put the head on said it was the #6 piston slapping.

The high fuel mods that the previous owner had done had apparently got the engine hot or whatever and it had premature wear on #6.

It's been a money pit.

If I can sell some of the performance parts off of it I won't be in too bad a shape on it.

I'm leaving the new engine stock. Only mods are 4" cat back exhaust and intake air filter.

thanks.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:01 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I got my grail when the original owner gave it to his grandson and the kid did not put any additive in during a freak cold snap and it gelled on him. My dad was out at the dealership and they would not loan on the truck because he couldn't drive it in.

Well my Pops overheard 98 12-valve quad 4x4 and was on it like stink on (edit), he told him he could give what he needed to make his new car purchase for the grandson, which was a nissan exterra of all things, the rest is history.

One owner with 108k on mileage the truck never had a hitch in the bed and never pulled a trailer as virgin as they come.

Last edited by John_P; 02-02-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Language
Old 01-09-2009, 12:52 AM

Got my 97' with 62k on it from my grandpa here in southern Utah. There was actually quite a few down there ! (retirement town !) ha ha
Old 01-09-2009, 03:37 AM

It took me about 6 months to find mine about 3 years ago. It was hard enough to find a 1996+ 12v that wasn't beat up, let alone find one under $15k. So I finally found the one I have now. I called him the first day the ad came out and went to look at it a day later. He said several people had already called him about it. I was happy to see that the truck was all stock, in good shape, and had no EGR. The truck was used for towing and always on-road. Oil was clean and he had all records. He took really good care of it. Overall, I'm happy with my truck. I've put several thousand dollars and lots of man hours into it by now. Some of that money was for minor repairs and maintenance, the rest for mods. My biggest expense was the tranny, but I'm glad it's done now. The stock TC sucked and tranny never seemed to quite shift right even though the previous owner changed it out 50k miles before I bought it. I later found out it was a bad governor solenoid or something like that; not to mention whoever rebuilt it last time used a wrong size part in it. I wish I was the original owner cause I take really good care of my stuff, but when something is used you never know if something is about to go bad.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:09 PM

I got my stock 98' 12V QC 5-speed with 213,000 on it for $8,000 in Great Falls, Montana. That's quite a trip from Michigan, and it took me 6 months of looking everynight on Craigslist to find it, but when it showed up I was on a plane the next morning.

I'd keep an eye on Montana, Oklahama, and Texas on Craigslist. They seem to have gotten the lions share of the 12V 5-speeds.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:17 PM

Try the Diesel Man !!!! cannot remember his webpage but heres a listing on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...mZ400022492573
Old 01-09-2009, 01:20 PM

Here is the webpage http://www.nydiesels.com/
Old 01-09-2009, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by MK ULTRA

I won't buy one again that was modded.
You and me both. On my 24 valve I've done VP44, rear brakes, ball joints, AND had to have the trans rebuilt and I've only had it a matter of months. Had a gooseneck in the bed and signs that it had gauges and a programmer(bolt plugging the manifold where the egt probe would go, hey at least I won't have to drill and tap it when I get gauges) and I still bought it. Never again. But its running ok now just waiting for the next thing to go wrong

Quick Reply: Where have some of you found your low mileage 2nd Gen 12 Valve trucks??