12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

where to buy/borrow/ etc Timing tools... questions inside!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to buy/borrow/ etc Timing tools... questions inside!!

coupla questions: I know in the TSB, as well as most other places i've read it requires a metric (MM) dial indicator... i have an SAE/inch Dial indicator...
1.) would this work (just doing the conversion) or should i buy another..?

i also need a DV socket, and a DV dial indicator holder (i've read about the drain-plug deal...pretty neat)
2.) *answered that one already!)
3.)possibly a barring tool? although i've heard using the alternator nut works decent...

some have also mentioned the timing pin not being right, and commented about finding TDC by removing the #1 injector and using the dial indicator...
4.)would a dial indicator extension-of-some-sort be needed for this?

5.)best to do the timing adjustment with the front cover off? while doing the KDP? do the GSK kit now too???

6.) anyone clarify some specifics for me a bit?

thanks a bunch!!

J
Old 06-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Banned

Yes, you can use your SAE dial indicator, and just convert the measurements.

Yes, you can turn it with the alternator, or a socket on one of the bolts for the balancer.

No, having the cover off does not make it easier to do the GSK, and I don't think it would really help with the timing.

Someone else will have to chime in with the rest of the answers.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:42 AM

GR'

If your going to tab the KDP, then time it too - otherwise don't pull the front cover. SAE dial indicator works. You'll probably need an extension for the indicator just to fit the pump, let alone find TDC. Finding TDC via the drop valve method works too. Definately get a barring tool. I've done it a couple of times without one and it's much more work. You can roll the engine back with the alternator nut but I found the only way to roll it forward was by the flywheel with a flat blade screwdriver. It gets tiring after crawing under the truck a few times. I found going in through the side of the pump makes the GSK install pretty simple with very little threat of dropping something in the pump. Take your time - it's a straight forward procedure.