12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

What would you Buy?? 24v or 12v

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This site is great, I appreciate all of your help. I have def decided to stick with a 12v, and will keep you updated on the hunt.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 11-15-2006, 05:23 PM

As this is my first post, I have been doing homework on buying my first CTD. I haver been "lurking" in the background, reading all I can about the differences between 12 vs 24 valves. I'm happy with a 96 VW that is throttle by wire with short of 500k miles, with no problems. And have owned either 1.6l vw's, 5.7gm since 1978 and currantly run two 6.2l Suburbans. My brother and Dad are CTD nuts, 96 and older. I would wonder who builds the electronics for the engine management? The big rigs have used ecms for some years now. I would like to think that they would be reliable? The question I would like to ask is about economy? Between the 12 valvers and 3rd generation 24? I, also, would wonder the mpg's difference between auto and manual? I'm saving my pennies and will be reading more on these trucks to get what I want. Thanks for your opinions, Artie
Old 11-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Banned

the 12v's get better mileage than the later 3rd gen trucks... a manual is going to give better mileage around town... an aftermarket torque converter can bridge that gap some. once you're on the highway and in lockup, the automatic can get the nod due to a taller OD gear.

if you're pinching pennies, I'd just go with a 5sp 12v. you'll get a more powerful injection pump, and the ability to hold quite a bit of power with just a clutch purchase. an auto will need a lot of money thrown at it to hold good power
Old 11-15-2006, 08:49 PM

12V all the way... search posts for dead trucks... usually it's lift pump and/or fuel injection pump.

unless you got lots of time to find a 98 12 w/o 53 block. go with 93-97 or skip to 2003 -2004
Old 11-15-2006, 08:56 PM

Ive gotten 1100 kms in a tank before ,thats like 685 miles I think,in my 4x4 auto lb ext 12v.Thats pretty good I'd say.I dont think it gets alot better than that
Old 11-16-2006, 12:20 PM

Check the classifieds on here. I have a 12-valve 98 quad cab [4 doors] with 60,000 miles for sale.

Daniel
Old 11-16-2006, 05:40 PM

I have a 12, My buddy has a 24. I replaced the front end, He replaced the vp-44 and the front end!!!! I like the 12 valve.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:45 PM

sure feel lucky! just purchased my 97 CTD w/96k miles. had a front end shop check out entire front end. needed nothing... everything was tight!

Originally Posted by BigMackDodge
I have a 12, My buddy has a 24. I replaced the front end, He replaced the vp-44 and the front end!!!! I like the 12 valve.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:05 PM

12 valve all the way. You couldn't give me a 24v or even a 3rd gen, if you did I would swap the motor if I had the $$ to do it. i'd yank out the motor and swap in a 12v no doubt. Rear disc brakes are nice grant it on the newer ones.

Benefits of a 12v:
I can get 24mpg on a good 60mph road.
I get looks all the time at lights cause its loud and sounds like a real truck.
No computer.

I figure I'm gonna be buried with my 12v, I'm gonna replace every drivetrain/body part on it before the motor gets tired and then some

Did i mention a computer on any nwer vehicle IMO is worthless.
Give me a p-pump, life can't get any better than that.

(copy and pasted from long time ago)
"You know your a 12 valve owner if"
Laugh cause you have a smoke screw, and its loose.
Think about the AFC more than your spouse.
Know what a pia breakoff screw is.
3k and 4k springs remind you when you put yours in and all the choice words.
Moved the plate around so many times you can do it in your sleep.
Smile cause you can burn some jet fuel and the newer ones can't.
You wonder what its like to have 5 settings on a black box, but are grateful to only have 1 setting on go pedal. Kill.
You don't need a computer box to tell you how much to fuel to deliver. 1 setting WOT.
You drive by your egt gauges cause you are the commander and chief of the smoke god pedal.
Already have ditched the fancy silver valve cover cause its get in the way to much.
Know what delivery valves do, and feel for the sap driving in the slow lane.
370's are gods gift to the soot gods.
Your fuel lines has more pressure than a $$$ overpriced fuel system pump.
Your lift pump has no warranty,its still original, and its still making 500hp.
You know what grind'er flat means "git-r-done"
You don't need stinkn sensors.
You've retimed more trucks than you've had girlfriends.
You can spot a 24v decal vs. a 12v decal a mile away.
You can distinctively listen to another 12v and find it in traffic while at a red light.
While driving the wifes car you drop the windows cause you hear a p-pump semi track/truck to the side or ahead of you.

"You know your a diesel head if"
Your computer uses a real Cummins being started as the bootup WAV file
When you're P.O.ed that the "undervalved" doesn't get more pronounced after every BOMB party
when you dump out your old spice cologne and re-fill it with #2
You freeze to death in the winter time with your windows down just to hear the exhaust and pump clatter
You take pride in being solely responsible for a smog day
Always lookn in the right mirror for that black ghost.
Chuckle when you go under bridges and overpasses just to gun it.
You're hacked off when your dyno run shows ONLY a 1000 ft lbs of torque
You lay in bed dreaming about rice burners in the right lane with their windows down
If the first thing your friends ask is...so what did you do to the truck this time
You see a guy with an "un-BOMBed", mufflered Cummins and feel the need to enlighten them
When you turn on the key and wait to start. IN ANY VEHICLE YOU GET IN, diesel or not
When pulling into a parking space in any vehicle, you let it idle for a few minutes to cool the turbo down
When pulling up to a fast food drive up you automatically shut the engine off
When you fart and a puff of black smoke comes out
You take pride in the fact that most big rigs and dump trucks have less HP
You buy more propane for your truck than you do for your gas grill
When you laugh at Dodge Vipers because they *only* have 500 horsepower
You smile when kids think your the school bus and neighbors think your a garbage truck.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:29 PM

I would go with the 12v and wouldn't worry too much about the 53 block in a 12v my buddy has a 98 12v with the 53 block and has twin turbo's and he truck pulls drag race and lots of other fun stuff no problem from the block. I think that the 24v's had most of the problems with the 53 block.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:11 PM

Thumbs up

I love my 98 12v and i wouldn't trade it for anything
Old 11-18-2006, 12:12 PM

When i bought my 98 12v used in 06, it was from the original owner and it had 131000. The orginal owner updated to a 06 quad cab and he told me the 98 got better fuel economy and was more powerful with towing and the like. I tow a 28' aluminum twin engine jet boat with mine, and i don't even fell it back there.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:24 PM

I'd always liked the cummins and knew when the time came that a 12v was the way to go. Turns out that the truck i'd always love to have was for sale when my mustang got totalled. I can't believe i didn't start out with a 12v.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:40 PM

I see people saying the 12 valves get better economy, but I don't see any numbers. Lets see some #'s, loaded, unlaoded, speed you drive...
Old 11-19-2006, 01:05 AM

I have a '93 W350 auto, but I'm considering a '97 W3500 5 spd cuz I tow heavy (28,000GCVW) and in steep hills with switchbacks on the way home everyday.

What is tow rating for '97 W3500? (I'm very happy my '93 is not 'max tow rated' ) Keeps the DOT guy happy, (whom I see frequently )

What 5spd tranny does the '97 have? Seems there were some pretty poor 5 spds. Is it worth switching to a 6spd ?. (flatbed dump is how it will be set up, the manual tranny will allow for a Hyd winch too , and maybe add some aux ports (and a cooler) to run my HYD chipper, and concrete pump)

(of course I would like an 18spd like my boss's KW) and I really need it, but the KW does not get 20 MPG out on the road, then there's always my '97 VW-TDI passat, 52 mpg, w/ 18 gal tank, makes for a long time between rest stops (950miles...bladder is growing... wife and kids not impressed... )

Quick Reply: What would you Buy?? 24v or 12v