12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Weird alternator woes

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is why I like to rebuild my own stuff at least you can check it out your self and see if it can be reused or not and take the time to do a proper job. And you always manage to save a few bucks while your at it. i hope you didn't get any engine damage out of it. The water pump is bad enough!
Old 12-10-2004, 02:23 PM

Oh yea...one or two more things...

I just read all the links put up by kd460- VERY interesting stuff!

.1- It sounds like from the posts that the spend sensor should get regular attention. Best way to clean it? Spray it with what type of product? Or should it be removed for cleaning- again- what is best product to use for cleaning?

.2- Where is the dsah board volt meter reading the volts from? Having watched it carfully now for several days- including when the truck lost the belt I've noticed it rarely matches my Snap On meter. I have my meter pluged into a multi lighter plug setup (after market) that I wired direct thru the firewall to the distribution ceter next to left battery. I understand there will be some voltage drop due to various loss points like the plugs, outlet and size of the wires that will cause volts at the end to be less than when it started (voltage drop).
Old 12-10-2004, 09:57 PM

To try and answer your question:

1) The speed sensor gets cleaned with electrical contact cleaner. Can get at most auto parts stores or radio shack. A good spray and all is well. BTW, if you ever remove it, it needs to be put back at the proper gap (can't remember gap, can dig it out if needed, but I'm sures others will know), and it also needs to be gapped with a brass feeler gauge, although I confess, I used a steel one and besides the magnet in the sensor making things a little tricky, no problems.

2) I think your meter is more accurate than the factory gauge. The computor "interprets" data and sends it to the gauges. Many report that your actual oil pressure varies alot from what the dash gauge reads. The dash (factory) gauges are more of a glorified idiot light. Values vcan be used as a general guide, but not that accurate.

I'm sure others can do a better job of explaining it than me, but I hope this helps, Kevin