12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Weird alternator woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird alternator woes

My truck is pissing me off. I had my alternator tested and batteries tested and they are both good. Then I thought the volt regulator went bad so I replaced my PCM and then I figured out all I did was blow my alternator fuse. Now it is acting up, but at least it is driveable. When I crank it up the battery charge gauge or whatever is always real low and the check gauges light comes on. Then when I get going it gets back up to 15. And sometimes when I let it idle it goes down to like 13 or so. Is something draining it? I have no idea. What do yall think?<br>
Old 02-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re:Weird alternator woes

Have you put a voltage tester on the truck to varify that the Alt is actually charging correctly?<br><br>Also, check for bad or broken ground wires.<br><br>Good luck.<br><br>Rich
Old 02-07-2003, 08:26 PM

When I bought my truck &quot;used&quot; it was acting up also. I had the batteries checked at a auto parts store but they did not dissconect the two batteries. They said my alternator was bad. So I took it off and had the local alternator rebuild shop rebuild it. The brushes were worn out, but this didn't fix my problem. Then I took the batteries off and had them checked, one had a bad cell in it. This fixxed my problem hope you get it straightened out. This was a pain in the a...s for me also.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Jrr

Check your crankshaft position sensor wiring and connections, also the sensor and check for excessive grease or oil on it. To adjust it you will need a brass feeler gauge.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:43 PM

Do you mean my crank speed sensor? My rpms and speedometer gauge act up every once in a while. I might need to replace this, but I just replaced my rear wheel speed sensor. So I will probably replace this crank sensor too I guess.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:44 AM
Jrr

Thats it usually a bad connection or wire sometimes full of crud from seeping gaskets and seals sometimes needs adjustment.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:29 PM

Just reading this thread- it's not the exact problem that I have but close! Over last 3 months replaced both batteries and now the alternator. Truck is not hitting more than 13.10 to 13.5 (on a Snapon/Bluepoint meter), mostly it's around the high 12s. I have the meter wired to the cigar plug and sitting on the seat next to me while I drive. It's strange because I'm seeing the highest volts in the AM when I head out for work!? Turning on headlights/fan etc dont make a dent in the volts- it holds steady with the extra load!? Strange?

BTW the dashboard voltmeter is completly off compared to the Snapon meter. Whats with the PCM- manual says to not touch it- nothing about trouble shooting it. HELP!
Old 12-08-2004, 03:11 PM

I had the same problem on my 96. I rebuilt the alternator replaced the rectifer and replaced the brushes as well. There is a problem with the rectifer ground. I you look at the back of the alt there is a aluminum cover that is held on by 3 nuts. Remove and drill out the hole were the the rectifer ground stud is so you can get a good connection with the nut on the rectifer ground terminal then install the cover and the two nuts to hold it on. I also tested my batteries they seemed ok but I changed them out at the same time.Now every thing is ok, I have super bright lights and it is charging at 13.5 with eveything on.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:18 PM

Jack- Thanks- But I replaced the alternator with a new rebuilt unit from NAPA. Today (with the new altr installed) I saw volts go all the way to 13.8! The mechanic at work said it was the PCM that was at fault- he said to give it two days to "relearn" with the new alternator, that seemed like good news untill... tonight driving home with the headlights on I saw the volts crash down to the low 12s! I think I was lucky to make it back home- the lights were getting real dim and the GEN warning light came on!

Unless you guys have another idea I guess I'm headed to the dealer...the mechanic said they (the dealer) would have to service PCM.

BTW mine is a 1997 2500 CTD (4X4)
Old 12-09-2004, 09:31 AM

How old are your batteries? Have you had trouble starting in the morning. like I said earlier I also changed my batteries as well. I had the same problem as you.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:13 AM

possible defective alt,i know it's a rebuilt but,anything can happen.More than likely voltage reg in computer is on the bum.If i remember corectly hauling has a fix for that.Just my .02
Luc
Old 12-09-2004, 12:00 PM

You may be able to wire in a external voltage regulator from a 1st gen instead of replacing the pcm
Old 12-09-2004, 04:17 PM

Yes you can wire up an external voltage reg. Yes it was haulin in dixie who posted the how to (thanks!) Here is the post:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=36421#newpost

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...5&pagenumber=1

Here is another post that may be of help:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...threadid=41593

Good luck, Kevin
Old 12-10-2004, 01:17 PM

Hats off to 1st Cumnz! Not only was the NAPA rebuilt bad- it WAS A DISASTER! While driving on the highway Thurs morn (second day with the new one) I lost all alternator output- then the temp gauge pegged all the way over...the fault...the pully on the "new" alternator started to come off the alternator- it then threw the belt causing the truck to overheat (lost the water pump)!

So a BIG WARNING to everyone- check those new or rebuilt parts- they may not be what they seem!!!!!

Quick Reply: Weird alternator woes