12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Wanting 700 hp and 1400 lb of torque....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by durasmack
oh, no, in that case, 5-10 feet or so.... you like that idea dont you.... If you really want to know, call Curt Haisley and ask him... I'm sure he has found out the answer to that question...
yeah its growing on me. but how do they open the hood?
Old 10-05-2005, 07:22 AM
Registered

HOHN - how often would i have to refill the bottles? would nos or propane be better? or both
Old 10-05-2005, 07:48 AM

it's 2 pieces. top piece slides down over the bottom piece. a couple sheet metal screws at the base can pin it down and can be taken out easily with a nutdriver so the hood can be opened...
Old 10-05-2005, 08:02 AM
Registered

yeah a stack out the hood would lower egts......
Old 10-05-2005, 08:43 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN
If it were me, I'd be pushing LOTS of drugs. That way you can get more HP for a given level of streetability.

Let's face it, a Stoopid pump puts out enough fuel to where 90psi of boost won't clean up the haze.

I'd run some twins using a Super Phat Shaft 66 on top and an HT4C/HX82/T105 sized turbo on botto--something HUGE.

Then, to help spool things up, a MASSIVE shot of the funny gas. I'm talking more pills than Walgreens has. The gasser equivalent of a pro-fogger setup- 400-500hp shot. The nice thing about nitrous in a diesel is that it's almost impossible to overdo it. Best thing to do would be a progressive controller setup linked to some kind of MAP-- as boost came up, it would automatically dump in more nitrous.

You'd have to drop compression down to 12:1 or so, and of course you'd need the standard head/cam/port/o-ring job.

700hp isn't that hard with a 12V-- but it usually requires using about 1100hp worth of fuel. A clean, somewhat-efficient 700hp is quite the challenge indeed.

jlh
I think 12:1 would pretty much ensure you won't have a very streetable CTD as it would likely not idle very well and certainly not for any length of time as combustion temps would probably fall to the point where the engine could no longer run at idle.....cool weather operation would also have to be limited. Another effect of big turbos and very low compression would be the non-existent bottom end power.....that is fine for a puller but not very useful for a street/strip CTD. This, of course, is just my .02.....
Old 10-05-2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
I think 12:1 would pretty much ensure you won't have a very streetable CTD as it would likely not idle very well and certainly not for any length of time as combustion temps would probably fall to the point where the engine could no longer run at idle.....cool weather operation would also have to be limited. Another effect of big turbos and very low compression would be the non-existent bottom end power.....that is fine for a puller but not very useful for a street/strip CTD. This, of course, is just my .02.....
I agree. Maybe you could only drop it down to 15:1 or so and keep some semblance of bottom end?

What sucks is that when you run big boost, you need huge turbos. But big boost also means you should have lower compression, which kills the spoolup of those huge turbos.

I suppose you can keep stock compression at "only" 700hp. It makes sealing things a little tougher, but it can be and is done all the time.

There's a reason the Schied truck ride on a trailer all the time.

Cheyne-- you are 100% right, and I should have thought a little deeper before posting. I was just going crazy and forgot about that "street" part
Old 10-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by HOHN
Cheyne-- you are 100% right, and I should have thought a little deeper before posting. I was just going crazy and forgot about that "street" part
Justin, crazy is cool!....I start dreaming too after I watch a clip of the Schied truck pulling the sled!
Old 10-05-2005, 01:33 PM

is it still a "street" truck when its riding on a trailer? I mean it is going down the street, isnt it???
Old 10-05-2005, 02:36 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by blackdiesel02
ok the next project thats up my sleave is like a pro street cummins powered rig. im thinkin a 12v is the way to go? im talkin like a four link, bulletproof ford 9 inch with some massive mickey t's. the DOT approved kind because i want this to be a driver. The kinda truck ya can drive to the strip and race, then drive home. lets say i wanted 700 hp or so. 1. how would i get there and 2. what would it cost to build a auto to hold that much power? What would it cost to set up a motor like this? twins, ya know the works. so, lets hear the ideas.
700hp street and strip is very doable. My setup will make the power you are looking for and is my everyday driver. I do run our 700cc stupid pump, 370's, stg 2 o-ringed port & polished head, pdr cam, 15.5:1 pistons, girdle, balanced bottom end and our street and strip twins.

With this combo you need to run a $90 Valet switch for everyday driving. The stupid pump puts out 325cc in valet mode and runs clean unless you are heavy on the go peddle with no boost. Wide open with boost is just a slight haze and makes 495hp. Set up correctly, you have good bottom end and will outrun just about anything on the road.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
Justin, crazy is cool!....I start dreaming too after I watch a clip of the Schied truck pulling the sled!
All I have to say about Scheids truck is bada--!!!!!!!!