12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

want to get rid of EGR

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
want to get rid of EGR

I have a 98 12v cali truck. If i where to get rid of the EGR stuff. How might i go about doing this. I have read some posts about the intake getting clogged up with soot. and who knows what the valves look like. This is all Hypothetical since it is illegal.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:01 AM

Hypothetically, you would simply remove the EGR tube, as well as the EGR valve, solenoid/relay, and all the attaching hardware. You need to fabricate block off plates to cover both the intake and exhaust holes. The only possible issue is that your check engine light may come on, since the PCM can't find the EGR valve anymore.

You will find that the intake horn will be completely covered in soot, so its probably a good idea to take it off and clean it. When you take the intake horn out, you will see that it is tapered down a lot at the EGR hole. I'm guessing this is not a good thing, in terms of intake air flow.

Again, this is all hypothetically speaking (except for the soot in the manifold, which is as real, as I'm sitting here now), since it is very illegal to tamper with any emissions equipment, like the EGR valve, and cat converter.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:14 PM

thank you

can any one help me out with some pictures or diagrams. if I where to fabricate some plates what do i need to atach them. weld? JB weld?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by samasaurus
can any one help me out with some pictures or diagrams. if I where to fabricate some plates what do i need to atach them. weld? JB weld?
the plates would be made of 1/4" steel with bolt holes in them and be bolted on, (so I've heard).
my truck has that stuff and I left it on. I cant imagine it hurts the performance. Do you know something I don't?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by somis13
I cant imagine it hurts the performance. Do you know something I don't?
It ALMOST burned my truck down! The hot EGR pipe lit the hood heat liner and made a basket hoop size hole.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by first4age
It ALMOST burned my truck down! The hot EGR pipe lit the hood heat liner and made a basket hoop size hole.
mine has that same hole your describing, I just thought it was from water going through the front, to the fan. and the fan blasting the liner apart with water. if mine is burnt it must have caught on fire when the previous owner had it
Old 01-19-2007, 12:24 AM

On my previous truck I made block off plates from aluminum that was fairly thick but thin enough to cut with snips. I then used the flanges from the pipe (cut off from the tube) and the same gaskets to block the holes. Never leaked...There is not all that much pressure to contain and temperature needs to be below the melting point of aluminum otherwise the aluminum pistons would melt. I may have dreamed this...but sure seemed real LOL
Old 01-19-2007, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Seeing how the EGR is on their as part of the California smog emission control, removing this device would put you at odds with the law.
This could be an expensive decision if you get inspected by your friendly law enforcement.
DTR can not endorse or support any activity that violates Local, State, and/or Federal law.