12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

vibration in drivetrain can't find the problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vibration in drivetrain can't find the problem

okay I have no overdrive so I am limited to about 58 mph but as I get there the truck starts to develope a pretty good vibration not through the steering wheel but through the pedal and it definitly feels driveline related. there is also a sound that goes along with it but not a growl or anything like that it just doesn't sound right. It only happens when under load, no load or a light load and it is fine it is just when it loads up a bit that this happens which is all the time when you have no OD since it is running 2500 RPM or so. It also gets worse as speed increases. the front axle u-joints were recently replaced so that is not it and the ball joints are fine. steering is getting pretty loose but I can't see that being the problem. only things I can think of are the front driveshaft front joint has some play in it or possibly either the front or rear pinion bearing. Both front and rear axle seals leak and I have let the fluid get low but certainly not what I would call excessive.

The problem is the truck is about 1.25 hours from any parts store and it isn't practical to keep running back and forth plus it gets expensive throwing parts at it. any comments on what I think or anyone have a similar problem they solved please let me know.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:38 PM

If it vibrates giving it gas and doesn't vibrate while coasting, it's a universal joint.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:42 AM

Since you said OD went south, there is a good chance the slip yoke bushing is loose too. You will also have bad bearings in the trans and the oil will be pure silver with metal taking out the rest of the bearings. That could cause a vibration too, You may also have a bad pilot bearing in the clutch, that could've caused the trans to go bad. All of these problems inside the trans could cause the vibration or growl under load. Next , if you have axle seals leaking, you may have wheel bearings going bad causing the seal to leak.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:05 AM

To clarify a bit I am pretty sure the OD is out cause the solenoid pack is shot, I just haven't been completely convinced to throw a new one in yet. The rest of the tranny works fine. and both the front and rear seals are leaking after removing the shafts, the front was to replace the u-joint and the rear was doing some research for another project so I pulled the shaft. It seams no matter how careful you are putting those shafts back in with a older seal at best I have a 50/50 chance of it not leaking. It is just a lot of work to have to pull the carrier everytime I pull an axle shaft to replace the seal.