12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Upper Control Arm Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upper Control Arm Bushing

I need to replace the rear upper control arm bushing on the drivers side but my manual doesn't tell me how.
Has anyone else done one before?
Old 08-13-2004, 11:59 AM

I haven't looked at mine yet, but when I took it to the dealer, they told me I needed new lower ball joints, new upper control arms, both inner and outer tie rod ends, and the steering box. I was curious why they would say that I needed new upper control arms, why not just rebush them? I have not had a chance to crawl under and look at the set up. Is there a bushing, or does the whole control arm get replaced? I can't believe that there wouldn't be a bushing. I had just replaced all four ball joints and tool it to the dealer for an alignment. When they told me I needed new ball joints I was really skeptical, but this dealer has a very good reputation in the area. I took the truck home and checked the ball joints myself, and believe it or not, both lower ball joints have play. These were not cheap either, they were Moog.

I hope someone comes back with an answer to your question, because now I am really curious.

Thanks,
Darrin
Old 08-13-2004, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by darrin
These were not cheap either, they were Moog.
In my experience with Moog on Mercedes, they were much lower quality than the original parts, I think I went with Febi which is a German part. The Moog had lower quality machining, cheaper clamp holding the boot, and cointained half of the (both used the same) grease that the Febi did. (I bought a Moog for the boot, Mercedes ******* wanted $10 for a boot and I could buy the whole Moog balljoint for $13 wholesale, Febi cost about twice that.)

Sorry winner172, I haven't quite gotten to the first stage, ownership. Then I'll be able to say I did something or not, but for now I've learned quite a bit about them and am watching for the right one to pop up.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:24 PM

darrin, yes they are bushed. Advace auto parts sells them for $10.49 ea. but i'm not sure how to change them out. My rear one on the upper arm driver side got soaked with power steering fluid from a leaky brake booster and is squishy and swollen and is causing my front tires to wear funny.