12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Uh-Oh.. Did I bend a fuel line?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Uh-Oh.. Did I bend a fuel line?

Well, just about everything is disassembled regarding my 96 Dodge 3500 Cummins fuel line leak(the shorter rubber ones). I have actually not even lost my temper! I am amazed! Maybe the 3 year lay off since my last bunch of surgeries has mellowed me some, that would be nice! The only "Maybe" regarding not breaking anything or making a bigger problem than when I started is regarding the one fuel line that is behind the fuel filter and runs under that "lip" along the head of the engine. You have to just reach under there and feel around for it. Does anyone know if the steel line, under there has any bends in it? If no, then "Uh-Oh!" Once I got the hose clamp loose, I tried to work the hose off. It was really on there. I was able to get some slack and then just pulled as hard as I could. It finally popped off. When I was done though, I did not recall if the steel line had any bends. It is currently such that I can look under that lip along the head and just past the bracket on the steel line, on the side of the bracket that is towards the back of the truck, I see the steel line and it looks like it has a 90 degree bend and is "pointing" away from the head. Is this correct or did I bend the line? If I bent the line, should I automatically keep going and buy a new one and replace it?

I could really use some help on this one as I really wanted to start putting everything back together tonight.

Thanks!

Papa
Old 07-31-2005, 07:13 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't know whether or not you bent it, but as long as it's not kinked you have nothing to worry about. The lines that must not be bent are the high pressure lines from the pump to the injectors. The line you are talking about is on the return side and there is no pressure. If there is a kink, that will cause a restriction and you should replace the line.