12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Turbo / power help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo / power help needed.

Appologies in advance for the length of this post. I've searched for an answer to this problem, but have found nothing specific to it.

Background: the pickup is a '97, Cummins (what else?), 150,000 +/- miles, stock. The wastegate actuator was replaced last year after problems somewhat similar to what is happening now.

Problem: no power. No smoke, the engine is reluctant to rev past 2400 in 4th and 5th towing or empty, although it will redline in 1st, 2nd and 3rd towing or empty. Prior to this problem the truck would tow in 5th gear with no problem and return an average of 12 mpg doing do. My last trip, a week ago, saw most of the time in 4th with occassional runs in 5th. For one leg of the trip everything worked well in 5th, but after stopping at an intersection things returned to 4th gear running. Mileage averaged 10 mpg for the trip. During the time things worked well there was a clanging noise that sounded like it came from in front of the transmission, perhaps in the bellhousing. That noise disappeared after stopping at the before mentioned intersection and has not returned. The truck runs as though it is normally aspirated with no turbo attached.

So far I have checked for leaks at all joints from the turbo to the intake manifold, checked signal lines from the intake manifold to the wastegate actuator, checked the wastegate actuator for movement and adjustment as directed in the Dodge shop manual, checked fuel filters, listened to (but did not remove for inspection) the relief valve, checked the turbo for end and side play in the shaft, and spun the turbo by hand feeling for drag. The lift pump has been checked and passed, although that was about 5,000 miles ago.

The only thing I've found that might be a problem was the wastegate actuator. According to my shop manual there should be 0.013 to 0.052 in total movement with 28 lb of air applied. Mine moved the total distance required to open the wastegate - roughly 5/8 inch. Is the book correct on this? It doesn't make sense to me that full boost would open the wastegate so little. But there are lots of things that don't make sense to me.

Any suggestions as to where to go from here? Timing? Injector pump?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ron

Edit: Well, do I feel silly. I never considered the possibility of a plugged cat or muffler. It's too late tonight to do anything, but first thing tomorrow . . .
Old 07-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man thats wierd, your definatly not getting fuel, since you checked alot of stuff already, maybe the diaphram in the afc, or fuel psi.