12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

trying to pinpoint starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trying to pinpoint starting problem

hello everyone! its been awhile since i have posted, but i have been lurking around in the backround.<br><br>i have been experiencing some starting trouble. some days my truck fires right off, some days it turns over a few times before it fires off, and some time it will never fire off. on the days it wont fire at all, i have to pop the hood, and manually engage the fuel shutoff solenoid.<br><br>so i wonder, is the solenoid going bad? if so, will it go totally out one day and never start? thats what im worried about.<br><br>thanks guys..
Old 04-24-2003, 08:04 AM

Re:trying to pinpoint starting problem

I would test the relay first. I am no pro, but there is a description of how to test a relay in all of the cheap repair manuals. I could probably find and post it if you need.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:04 PM

Trace ALL the wires coming and going to your solenoid. You could easily have a short in one or just a bad spot which is keeping you from getting correct voltage. Its a lot cheaper than a new solenoid too .<br> Wheels
Old 04-25-2003, 12:17 PM

i Have had 2 fuel shutoffs go bad, bot times it was the unit itself. the electromagnet that releases the piston wasnt letting go. Finally , rather that but a 3rd one, i set myself up with a manual shut off, just like a semi. I went to a local truck parts store, got a shut off cable and fabricated a bracket for the cable to anchor to the actual shut off arm. I ripped out the old factory unit, mounted my kill switch on the lower dash wall, and now i shut it off manually. Added benifit, in the cold winters you can keep the engine running if you have to get out of the truck for short stops, simply turn off hte ignition remove the keys and lock your doors, engine will run until you push the kill switch in.
Old 04-25-2003, 05:14 PM
RCW

Assuming your lines are in good shape and your filters clean and not leaking, you could have one of two real common problems. <br><br>The first is the fuel shutoff solenoid not pulling up all the way, and that is easy to check. Turn on the key and try to start the truck when it is still cold. If it does not start right away, leave the key on, pop the hood, and reach down and lift on the fuel shutoff. If it moves, and then starts right up, you have your culprit. <br><br>The fix in this case is usually simply that of taking the solenoid off and cleaning the bore and slug throughly. <br><br>The second item is a leaky overflow valve. Throughly clean the injection pump and engine where the overflow valve is located on the inside of the pump between the engine head and pump. Unscrew the small top nut and carefully lift out the spring and see if it is still on one piece. If it is, give it a bit of a stretch and put it back. Prime the system and see if it starts easier.<br><br>Sometimes it is necessary to take a die grinder to the head just above the overflow valve to get enough clearance to take it apart. If you do this, be sure to clean up all the filings and dirt before you loosen the valve. I use spray brake cleaner for this.