12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Truck will start like its been running all day at 6 deg

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Truck will start like its been running all day at 6 deg

Hey guy did you ever wish your truck would all ready be warm when you first fire it up? Last week it was extremely cold (for this part of the country that is) and I knew I would be starting my truck in the am. Ole Smokey hasn't been starting well in cold weather lately and the fact it hadn't been started in almost three weeks prompted me to instruct my son to plug it in. After he fed the horses of course. My son is a straight "A" student but God did not give him all the common sense he really needed around the farm. Anyway, I went to the truck the next morning - the '97 - and was going to check the grid heaters. When I approached the truck I notice the snow was melted off the windshield and ice sickles were dripping off the bumper. I opened the hood and the engine was warm, really warm. I had my son to cycle the grid heaters and neither terminal on the heater had power. Still not thinking clearly about the warmth, I figured the heater was just working good and maybe it wasn't really that cold outside. I turned the key to start the truck and the outside temp. was 6 deg.. The temperature guage read 180 deg. I started the truck and it started and ran like it had been running for hours. The temperature guage started dropping slowly to 140 deg. but the heater was blowing warm air!!!! Now I was confused because I have used the block heater before and never had it this warm at these outside temps. Then it hit me. Beside the plugin I use at the house is the plug I use to hook my generator to the house when the power is out. It is 220 volt. And yes it is a different type plug but my son managed to plug it in anyway. I have not found any damage to the truck... so far!! Has anyone else experienced this or was it just a great gob of luck that something didn't blow up or burn????? This is not what I will practice but it sure was nice and warm in the cab really quick and no windshield to scrape
Old 02-13-2007, 09:52 AM
DTR question asker

1 Question:

How did you're son manage to fit the 120v plug into the 220v outlet? Thats great...

Lucky nothing overheated and caught on fire.

Glad to see that everthing *seems* to be ok.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Banned

It is a 30 amp 220volt outlet so it is similar to the 115 outlet but not the same. Like I said common sense is not his strong point but he is very athletic and good in school so I guess ya can't have it all. Now if I can only get him to remember to turn the water off at the barn and ..........