12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

truck died on the road today.. and now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
truck died on the road today.. and now wont start

Got the vehicle back on the road today,

here is what has been done to it, New lift pump, IC boots, OFV, 440 cc pump from Seth and DPE ( fuel pulled back to minimum) pin timed at 18 degrees of timing, 4ks, 191 dvs, and so on and so forth.. vaccum pump seal was redone, and pump was put back in.. fresh oil change, all filters, including prefilter were re done... return line, and feed line as well..

drove truck around for a little while, and all seemed well. truck pulled fine, accelerated fine, and all of a sudden, the water in fuel light came on.. and truck just shut off and refuses to restart easily... thinking that the sending unit got stuck and trucks out of fuel, i add 25 gallons of fuel to it.. nope, same problem.... tank marks full,

truck can be gotten to run, but it is smoking white severely, and pops and backfires while accelerating.. when the throttle is released, the truck shuts off completely... and when it actually starts again, it pops and backfires... again.. smoking white, pretty badly.. injectors were all cracked, and all spray diesel.. truck has no fuel pressure gauge on it, BUT HERE IS WHAT GETS ME.. white smoke is coming out of the air filter as well?

ive seen injectors go out on common rails, (mine did not too long ago,) and at least the truck stayed running, even with two injectors that stayed hung open..

I am just stumped on this problem...

im guessing one of the following is the culprit...

slipped timing (main one)
plugged fuel filter/ prefilter
picked up some garbage in the tank.. and this thing just wont run right..
injectors...

i know i need a fuel pressure gauge, but does anyone have any ideas on what could the main issue be?

thanks!
Old 08-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Start with checking your timing.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You said water in fuel light came on I think you should check for water in the fuel
Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Never seen it happen but have heard if a well warmed up engine sucks in a slug of water it can ruin all the injectors at once.
I would check fuel pressure and timing first before having the injectors checked.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:42 PM

Timing was waasyyyy off...gettin it zipped back up today... well see how it goes...
Old 08-30-2012, 02:33 PM

Well..

it RAN much better for about 5 miles....... seems the timing has slipped YET AGAIN... ( I think....) ok so what am i doing wrong here..

I pinned the pump, unbolted it, barred motor to pin, TDC was wayyy off So i barred motor to TDC yet again, and reset it, Bolted everything back up..

I took a socket and banged on the nut so that it could set, I also cleaned the shaft with brake cleaner, and emery cloth as well.. COmbination of all of the above said.. and tried my hardest to make sure that there was no oil anywhere where there shouldnt be..i torqued this thing down to 200 ft lbs.. yes that is right...

drove truck, taking it to fourth gear, and accelerating a bit.. and poof.. white smoke, stutter, backfire, and stalled.. I could turn it on, but the only way it runs is throttle at 100 percent... killed the batteries in the process, and pulled over, 5 miles from home...

what am i missing here? is it possible that the nut and lock washer have gone bad?.. does this mean im not gonna be able to accelerate this truck hard at all anymore?

im stuck.. obviously it slipped at higher RPMS.. so i cannot see anything other than oil causing it to slip, or bad hardware..

please help...

thanks!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Pretty sure they recommend a new nut.

I would try that before I freaked too much.

Infidel?
Old 08-31-2012, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best solution? Get an adjustable pump gear. Its keyed to the pump, and it makes a timing change a 5 minute affair. Love mine.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Torquing to 200 could have cracked the gear.
If so it will never hold.
Crack may be very hard to see until it's torqued down again, you'll have to remove the cover to see.
Might be time for a keyed gear...