12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Truck acted like it was in neutral...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck acted like it was in neutral...

I have a 95 ram 3500 with manual 5 speed trans with splitter. I was cruising 70 on E-way when the truck acted like I put it in neutral. I pushed the clutch in and shifted through every gear but the truck wouldnt move engine just reved up. I coasted to a stop, checked the clutch fluid, Full! Truck running clutch out I can shift through every gear no grinding no movement nothing. I left truck runnning while I waited for a tow. Waited about 15 minutes decided to try it again and to my surprise the truck drove like normal. I drove it home like nothing happened, no slipping, great clutch pedal. I am lost on what happened.

ANY THOUGHTS WHAT COULD BE GOING ON???????????????
Old 03-01-2013, 07:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've had that happen, but just in 5th gear. 5th gear nut came loose for me.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Let me ponder it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how in the heck....... Unless center of clutch broke out, and setting there running friction welded it back together.......

that wasn't serious BTW.......
Old 03-01-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
My best guess is worn fork pads on either the mode fork in the transfer case (never heard of that leading do a neutral condition, but I guess it could happen) or something ain't right with the linkage on the t-case, letting it slip into neutral. Pretty wild chance either way.

Or the splitter. I don't know what controls those things, but maybe it got caught in between modes...? No idea. I'd start checking the easy stuff first like linkage, give everything in the driveline a "dumb" inspection-prybar! Good luck.

Edit- just got to thinking of the snap ring problem on the transfer case on output shaft, inside of the tail housing. If they let go it can do some weird stuff, usually gives some popping/grinding/shifter handle movement though.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by gorms
My best guess is worn fork pads on either the mode fork in the transfer case (never heard of that leading do a neutral condition, but I guess it could happen) or something ain't right with the linkage on the t-case, letting it slip into neutral. Pretty wild chance either way.

I reciently rebuilt a T Case on a Dodge 3500 that went into neutral going down the road. Ended up being a bad shift fork and planitary gear.

I was also thinking this may be the problem. But he said with the engine running, and clutch hooked up he was able to shift through all gears with no grinding even without pushing in the clutch.. Is this correct Jondear??

This would make me think some type of a clutch, or throwout bearing hangup...??
Old 03-01-2013, 09:14 PM

Thanks for all the help, I drove it around town today and shifts fine until I get into 5th gear, then it acts like I am in the wrong gear. The truck is slugish I would call it. Once I drop it down a gear it drives fine, Posibly 5th gear nut? Why would I loose all gears for a moment tho?