12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

transmission questions/advice...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission questions/advice...

I was looking for method to get to converter bolts when I read some people trying to remove trans/transfer case as an assembly, most suggested not to do this without a good trans jack. But I have many times used a cherry picker going thru the passenger door and a chain down thru the shifter hole. Just watch the rear view mirror, if it gets bumped it will crack windsheild( and yes that did happen to me once) so now I take mirror off first. But here is my question.... band adjustment on 95 auto. My trans was rebuilt before I got this truck and I dont know if it is the origional one in there now or a replacement that may be a different year. And in my Haynes manual there are different band adjustment settings for every year. How do I identify my trans or is there a "universal" setting for the front and rear band. My truck was built in 8/94 so the trans could be a 94 if it sat around any in Dodge assembly line and that takes a didderent adjustment. How to be safe?
Old 10-05-2005, 11:21 PM

I used to work at a Dodge dealership. I've never been inside a 47 tranny, so I can't say anything about them specifically, but the tech's never adjusted the bands on newer Chrysler autos. The theory is that these transmissions use friction material that is barely more than paper thin. If they have worn enough to need ajustment, they are worn out. I never measured friction material thickness, but most newer Dodges are only around 1/16" or slightly thicker. Not like older transmissions that looked like brake shoe material on the bands.

Here is a good piece of advice: get rid of the Haynes manual. They are only good for starting fires with. They are full of wrong information and needless steps. Get a factory service manual. You are working on an expensive, high quality vehicle. Don't get cheap and use a $10 manual in place of a $40-$75 one (ebay prices). The part you may damage because of wrong information will most likely cost more than you save.

Jim
Old 10-06-2005, 09:32 AM

band ajustment

if one has the pan off pull down hard on the servo apply levers and adjust to a clearance of 3/16 to no more than 1/4 of an inch. this will work with no problems if the band isnt worn out. worked at chry. dealership for 10 years as a trans tech. raced them for more years than that.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Most tranny gurus say not to adjust the bands unless you have obvious slippage in R or reverse. Most often more damage is done than good. I followed this advice and never adjusted my bands on my stock trans for over 200k when I finally upgraded the tranny.
Don't fix it if it isn't broke.