12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

transmission kicks into neutral while in drive. Is there a solution for this???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question transmission kicks into neutral while in drive. Is there a solution for this???

I have a 94 2500 4x4 dodge with the 47rh(i think;Tell me if this is right), and when im in like 1st gear, it will kind of like kick into neutral while i still have it in drive. It has 163,000 miles on it, and the tranny was either rebuilt, or it had a new one put in a little while before i bought it. It does this especially bad when going up hills for some reasons. Even when the motor/tranny are warm it does it. Could the TC not be getting enough fluid, like a clogged filter or what. I havent done anything to the tranny sice ive had it, but i have a filter and gasket for it. Do you think if i put the new filter in, it would help? I was driving to day, and had been driving for probably 30 minutes, and as soon as i came to a stop light, it kicked out. I would really appreciate some help on this if you guys know of any solutions for this. I saw a kit for $50 by transgo on ebay last night that is supposed to help converter drainback, but im not sure what the problem is. It shows plenty of fluid on the dipstick, and it doesent really smell burnt to me. Thanks for any help.

Eric
Old 01-31-2004, 06:13 PM

first check fluid level idling in neutral. sounds very much like low on fluid.. if it is full of fluid change filter and fluid. check pan carefully for clutch material and or debris. if a lot of junk in pan it probably is ready for rebuild.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:39 PM

I checked the fluid, and it was about halfway up on the safe mark, so im guessing that is fine. I am definatley going to change the fluid/filter sometime, but its a little too cold right now. Do you guys think i should take my truck somewhere and have the transmission "serviced"? Like having fluid/filter changed, and bands adjusted, and whatever else should be done? My uncle takes his 98 1500 gasser dodge to a tranny man, and he really likes the guys work, and tells me i should take my truck to him, and have it worked on. Do you guys think it would be wise to take it to someone and let them do some work to it? Also, my TC slips bad if i step on it, do you guys think it may not be getting enough fluid to lock up good? Thanks for all the help.

Eric
Old 01-31-2004, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it only hop out of 1st gear? or will it "hop out" ( slip? ) in any gear?
Sounds like your tranny is slipping. Could be a fluid pressure problem due to leaking seals. The fact that it is slipping under load - ( hill ) indicates a real problem.

Good luck.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:46 PM

Well, the only gear it kicks completley out of is 1st from what i can tell. It does slip when the TC locks up if i get into the gas, but it has NEVER popped out of overdrive, unless your talking about the TC locking in and out(vibration in the wiring harness). Its not really under a big load when im on the hill, its just when im sitting there idling, or when im taking off, and its still in 1st gear(does it on flat ground too). I guess ill have to pull the pan, and do the fluid/filter change and see what happens, but im DEFINATLEY still looking for help/opinions on this problem. Thanks for all the help so far .

Eric
Old 01-31-2004, 10:43 PM

Bungee cord.Just kidding!
Old 01-31-2004, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does your trans fluid smell nasty?...a dark brown/red colour?

Not sure how many miles you have put on the rebuild, or if it was a quality rebuild to begin with. But any slipping is a sign of internal wear, and the only way to fix that is to replace worn parts. Generally if it starts slipping, fresh trans oil won't help too much, but it is the cheapest thing you can do other than verifying all adjustments are within spec, somebody with a service manual would have to help you with this.

If all else fails, a decent honest trans man would be your best bet.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:16 AM

The fluid looks to be kind of a dark red color. I dont really know what good transmission fluid should smell like, but this might smell a little nasty/burnt. My uncle has a service manual, but it isnt much help when it comes to the tranny.

Eric
Old 02-01-2004, 12:20 PM

The fluid should be a bright red color. If it is brown then it usually means that the tranny has gotten hot at some point. I wonder if the TQ was slipping and shredded the lining and possibly plugged the valve body thus starving the tranny and causing your problem. Try contacting Bill K. at www.dieseltrans.com and get a profesional opinion.
Tom
Old 02-01-2004, 10:18 PM

Sorry Driver but, it sounds like that trans is toast. If the converter clutch is slipping then it's putting loose material in the fluid, only to get caught in the valvebody and cause it to malfunction. I hope that isn't the situation but, yes I would take it to a pro.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:33 PM

I am still looking for more information/experiences on this, but thanks a lot guys for the help so far. I know a good TC is about 1,000 dollars, but how much would a tranny rebuild cost if I bought a converter and had someone put it in with it(only cost of rebuild, not TC)?Thanks guys

Eric