12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:53 AM
bek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thinking in another direction here. My truck always started shifting "funny" in overdrive when the fuel flow becomes restricted. It would shift early in OD and the engine would "lug". Could this be what you're feeling. You stated in your signature that you replaced your overflow valve and filter. How about the fuel heater screen, gasket and that small 90 degree hose? Hows the fuel pressure from the lift pump? When my fuel system is clean the truck will shift early in OD but will accelerate smoothly. Coasting along at 40+mph and shifting in OD is a bad habit for these early transmissions. Spend the money and replace that TPS, also check the valve lash. I even turned back the starwheel. These engines are extremely sensitive when it comes to fuel flow. Hope this helps
Old 04-16-2007, 10:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Crimedog
There are TSBs out for this. The problem is with the computer, most likely not the transmission. Every early 2nd gen Dodge that hasn't had the TSB done will lock up the converter at 42MPH. Eventually dodge realized that this was too low and caused shudder and put issued TSBs for it. The 94 trucks required a new computer to fix the problem with a higher lockup point. The 95 trucks were able to be reprogrammed if I remember correctly. I was quoted by Dodge for about $700 for the updated computer. No thanks, I'll just drive around it!

You could install a 3 way manual lockup switch, that way you could manually lock or unlock the converter, but also return it to it's automatic state. There is lots of good reading on the shudder issue over at dodgeram.org

Here is a link to the TSB
Of course, a PCM upgrade is always a good idea, but it will not solve the underlying shudder problem, nor will a lockup switch. The engine, especially a modified engine, simply has too much torque for the transmission to handle. First, the sludge must be cleaned from the valving, then the worn frictions and seals must be replaced. Then, unless the rebuild is an upgrade, power must not be developed below 1700 RPM where line pressure is adequate. The upgraded PCM will not prevent this and shuddering will occur, and another rebuild.

The ultimate solution is a driver control problem, not hardware. The driver must be aware of power needs, load, and RPM. Shifting the transmission manually through the gears is required sometimes, and usually with a good load.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by badme
Wher are you located??
Maryland, 20 minutes from baltimore
Old 04-16-2007, 03:34 PM

Yes, I do

Originally Posted by torqueshop
Do you for sure have atf +4 in your Trans? Also was the friction modifier they gave you in a Black bottle from Lube Gard? Lube Gard also make a Red tube of stuff pretty hard to find but it is I think called shutter stop. It is a pretty good pruduct, I know of a couple people it has helped with shudder probs.

Did you check y our TPS voltage at idle position and on the floor
Positive on the atf, got it at dodge, $8 a quart, Yes it was in a little black bottle, cant remember the name, worked a little bit, but not in a tube. I havent checked the voltage on the brand new tps, but looks like I need to to eliminate that from the equasion, the old one had 2 volts on the floor
Old 04-16-2007, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by bek
Just thinking in another direction here. My truck always started shifting "funny" in overdrive when the fuel flow becomes restricted. It would shift early in OD and the engine would "lug". Could this be what you're feeling. You stated in your signature that you replaced your overflow valve and filter. How about the fuel heater screen, gasket and that small 90 degree hose? Hows the fuel pressure from the lift pump? When my fuel system is clean the truck will shift early in OD but will accelerate smoothly. Coasting along at 40+mph and shifting in OD is a bad habit for these early transmissions. Spend the money and replace that TPS, also check the valve lash. I even turned back the starwheel. These engines are extremely sensitive when it comes to fuel flow. Hope this helps
Havent replaced the screen, gasket or hose, brand new tps in truck, I'll check valve lash when I do valve cover gaskets. Turned back starwheel till there is tension on spring, can you tell me where I can find the fuel heater screen?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:50 PM

Yes, I do

Do you for sure have atf +4 in your Trans? Also was the friction modifier they gave you in a Black bottle from Lube Gard? Lube Gard also make a Red tube of stuff pretty hard to find but it is I think called shutter stop. It is a pretty good pruduct, I know of a couple people it has helped with shudder probs.

got the ATF+4 at dodge, 8$ a bottle, friction modifier was in little black bottle, cant remember the name, did help a little bit, might have to try the tube
Old 04-16-2007, 04:00 PM

Pcm?

Originally Posted by Rare1
Of course, a PCM upgrade is always a good idea, but it will not solve the underlying shudder problem, nor will a lockup switch. The engine, especially a modified engine, simply has too much torque for the transmission to handle. First, the sludge must be cleaned from the valving, then the worn frictions and seals must be replaced. Then, unless the rebuild is an upgrade, power must not be developed below 1700 RPM where line pressure is adequate. The upgraded PCM will not prevent this and shuddering will occur, and another rebuild.

The ultimate solution is a driver control problem, not hardware. The driver must be aware of power needs, load, and RPM. Shifting the transmission manually through the gears is required sometimes, and usually with a good load.
Thankyou for the wealth of info, So what do you think? no pcm replacement, shift it manually? Ideally this truck would be relatively stock, reliable, and able to tow my four wheeling truck cross country, with no worries
Old 04-16-2007, 08:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
A truck on a trailer is a pretty good load, so I would shift it manually to keep the RPMs up. After you fix the tranny. And TPS. A PCM upgrade depends on whether you can avoid making power at the low shift points.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rare1
A truck on a trailer is a pretty good load, so I would shift it manually to keep the RPMs up. After you fix the tranny. And TPS. A PCM upgrade depends on whether you can avoid making power at the low shift points.
Thankyou rare1, we will see how it goes from here
Old 01-05-2008, 12:22 PM

yup i used the red tube shutter stop from lubegard..and i put the smartblend transmission red bottle..worked for me
Old 05-13-2008, 11:06 AM

I don't know if you fixed this already, but "shudder" is usually an indication of 1 of 2 things... slippage, or out of balance... I doubt your TC is out of balance, so it's probably slipping... I understand that this is a common problem with the early 2nd gen 12v diesels... My 94 does it a lot... has since I bought it... I had been having problems with the tranny which I determined to be electrical.. the TPS was WAY below idle specs... so I wired in a potentiometer... cleaned the guts of the tps (drilled a hole in it and sprayed in contact cleaner then resealed it with silicon)... wired in a 440uf cap to help keep the cruise control from disengaging... and then added a lock-up diengage switch so when I'm cruising through town at 45 mph I won't get any shudder... It's just a off/on toggle switch wired into the tranny harness... Make sure you get good schematics before you do that, and make sure you seal it up good... no electrical tape or wire nuts... SOLDER and SEAL(!!!)... can't stress that enough. I found most of the problems with my truck have been electrical and it's all been from crappy workmanship that the previous owner had done himself... lots of wire nuts and wiring rubbed through because it was routed poorly or just the wrong kind of wire (he used romex for the trailer brake controler and didn't use any slpit loom... so it chaffed in half where it was rubbing against an edge of sheet metal between the cab and the bed... I have been pulling a lot of wire this week and it's agrivating...

ANYWAY... this is about your truck (sorry, I tend to rant)... do a search for tps and potentiometer and that'll give you a good drawing to use... and then the cap has to be wired in the right way or it acts like an "open" in the circuit... because caps FILTER AC and BLOCK DC in series, but FILTER DC SPIKES IN PARRALLEL (like if you're into car stereos... you wire the the big power cap in parralell with your amp to act as a "stiffener"... it prevents spikes and surges in the power supply... well in this case it's much smaller because its 5v at less than 1amp).

If your problem is not electrical... then you just need to do a fluid change... go with the FACTORY reccomended ATF (i use the regular old ATF in my 47rh) and add a bottle of lucas tranny treatment (remember it's a quart of fluid, so deduct fluid as required from the ATF amount or you'll overfill and that's just as bad as underfilled)... I did that and the shudder went to almost nothing in my truck (lucas products make slick 50 look like garbage - and at half the price)... but it has 250k miles on the factory tranny so I wired in the TC lock-up switch to disengage it when I'm putting through town. It only drops the RPMs about 10% anyway at those speeds - so it's not really saving me any fuel.

Bro, I hope I was helpful... I've been going through hell with my tranny the last month and this website was a godsend... SAVED ME $3000 for a new tranny (THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THAT!!!)... all I needed was to adjust the kickdown bands, fix some wiring and add some wiring and a switch... did a fluid & filter change while I was at it... and my truck is good as new. Now I can take my money I saved and go finish my engineering degree this fall. WEEEEE!!!!!

Johnny
Old 05-13-2008, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe this will help.

fallow this link:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=172526

Then click on the link in my post. Tuckerdee wrote a good write up on installing a pot.