12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

TransGo TFOD Shift Kit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TransGo TFOD Shift Kit Questions

Well I just picked up the new TransGo kit for $75 from a local Transmission shop. Looks like a good kit, and the installer thought so too, much better than the last brand he used apparently. Anyways, I thought there were a few people who had used it here, there isn't much difference over the old one, but the new one has the seperator plate in it, and it comes with the drill bits, and a new set of instructions. Here's my questions:

1. In the PT body, it gives you a 24V Spring or a 12V Spring, I think I remember someone saying to use the 24V Spring, Why?

2. In the instructions it says I can drill 1 or 2 holes at a point which controls the Lockup clutch. It says if using a multiple clutch convertor to disregard drilling. Why? And if I plan on switching from my single disk to a triple disk, should I drill or not drill? And if I should drill, do I do 1 or 2 holes?

3. Right next to the lockup bracket it says I can drill a bigger hole to make more pressure on the lockup, but it says with modified engines or with new seal rings installed. I don't plan on putting in the new seal rings, but the trans was rebuilt 2 years ago, can I just drill the hole big or no?

4. The PR adjustment when the VB is together, it says turn clockwise til fluch, then 2 turns counterclockwise for mild HP, 4 turns for major HP. What does this control, and what should I turn it to?

If anyone can answer any or all of these questions I would greatly appreciate it. I'll be doing this this weekend then letting you all know how it turns out. Thanks.

-Matt
Old 06-13-2007, 09:07 PM

I used to have the TFOD kit, but mine didnt come with a new seperator plate. I used the 12v spring, but I think people say to use the 24 valve spring because it shifts a little later. I would use the 24v spring if you have 3k or 4k governor springs. Otherwise, id use the 12v springs. It has been a while since I put mine in, so I cant remember everything for sure, but I am pretty sure i drilled a bigger hole for the lockup. I am thinking maybe they say not to drill if using a multi disc converter so that the lockup isnt harsh. When I had the transgo, and goerend triple together, when it locked up, it flat jarred the whole truck. It felt awesome but was probably hard on drivetrain parts I could bark the turbo locking it up in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear if I wanted The Goerend VB is much smoother locking up. Cant really answer your other questions, but I did the best i could. What do you mean by PR adjustment?

Eric
Old 06-14-2007, 08:45 AM

There is a spring on a small bolt that runs into the side of the valve body, I'm not sure what PR stands for, but my guess is its a pressure regulator. Your guess is as good as mine. I think I'll drill a small hole for the Lockup, that way if I do get a triple disk for this trans it'll work decent.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:24 PM

The PR is for line pressure. I turned mine the full 5 turns on my 24v and the shifts are a little on the harsh side. The next time I have the pan off I am going to turn it down about 1 1/2 turns.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:09 AM

Alright thanks, I think I'll go with 3 turns then.