12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Transfer Case Came Apart!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer Case Came Apart!!!

At a red light, 4 wheel drive High range, 3400 rpm, 2nd gear clutch dump, and shortly after take-off there were some horrible noises. Pulled over with fluid draining onto the ground. Towed it home and found transfer case pretty much broke in half, about 3 inches back from where it mounts to the transmission. I can see some planetary gears in there, and there is about 1.5 inches of separation. Not sure exactly what happened here. Anybody got any ideas? I am sure the input shaft is still together. When I had this remanufactured transmission put in my truck 30 thousand miles ago, I had the 5th gear nut tacked onto the mainshaft to prevent it from coming off. Since I've not heard of many transfer case failures, is it safe to assume something went wrong with my transmission mainshaft? Any help here would be greatly appreciated. What transfer case should I go back with? Does anybody have a spare? Dad is coming over tomorrow to help me pull it all down to see if the tranny itself suffered any damage as well.

Waylan
Old 06-03-2006, 09:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you play, you will pay.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:35 PM

Waylan

Its nice to finally read about a guy thats in the same frame of mind as myself.

1. That's Awesome!!!!!
2. In 4 high --- better yet
3. Does it have a warranty?
4. Sounds like it might be a manufacturer defect to me
5. Keep up the good work!!!!!
6. Just take it back and say its not working right.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:46 PM

geico,

Good answer, good answer!! XXX

Look man, my cheerios have been peed in already, and it's not a problem I've ever read about even with much higher hp trucks than mine, and I'm just looking for a little guidance with what went wrong and what I'm looking at to get it back going. If this was a common problem I wouldn't be posting asking for help.

Anybody got anything productive to add? I would really appreciate it.

Waylan
Old 06-03-2006, 10:14 PM

Xfer cases due let go. Unfortunatly it will need to be disasembled to tell what really went wrong. Chain, gear, or aluminum failure are all a posability when ya drop the hammer like that. All that torque has to go somewhere.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly Id expect that to fail with the motor tuned up and the transmission coupling all that extra power.
To add that kind of RPM and then 2nd gear, thats a lot of torque. Do folks really do that without instant explosions every time? eek...
Id expect it was gear teeth popping off or the chain snapping. Sounds like even the case is trashed if it leaked fluid like that. If youre really lucky its just a hole that can be patched.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:40 AM

Sounds like you blew your case apart pretty well... I would definitely put a heavy duty 241 DHD back in there, from what I understand it has a thicker chain and a couple larger bearings. I saw a pic on here from a sled puller who literally ripped his T case in half, he ripped the whole front output side off. It looked pretty dang cool! I would guess it was just a blooper, folks launch hard at the drag strip all the time and don't break them. Good Luck
Old 06-04-2006, 09:32 AM

Thats awesome!

can we see pics of the carnage?
Old 06-04-2006, 10:21 AM

I will get pics on here later today, just got done removing it.

Right now, I believe I know what caused it. Back about 8 months ago, I the CV joint part of my front driveshaft was causing vibration. After some research, I decided to go with a replacement from driveshaftsuperstore.com. I checked on getting mine rebuilt, but it was going to cost as much as a new one.......possibly more. Anyway, it looks as though the center piece of the CV broke, as there are cracks radiating from that front shaft area, and I believe the CV then got in a jam under a hard load and pushed the transfer case to break away from the back of the transmission. All the internals to the transfer case look new.......nothing look like it got bound up. Bad thing about this is it would've probably happened eventually even on a stock truck offroading. At least I feel better now with what looks like the culprit. It would bother me more to never know what caused it to break.

Waylan
Old 06-04-2006, 12:35 PM

I had something like that happen to me a little while back. I launched 4hi I and everything held unfortunatly the driveshaft let go from the front and the rest is self explanatory, but the good news is that if warranty dont cover it and you have to do anything to it yourself those T-cases are as simple as pie to tear down and redo. It shelled the whole lower case off but it didnt hurt much than the case. Goodluck with everything.