12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Tranny shifts late when cold then....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny shifts late when cold then....

96' 4 spd auto - 4 x 4.

Tranny shifts late when cold or after sitting over night.

After a couple of stop and goes it starts to shift on time at the right RPM.

Most of the time it's between 1st and 2nd gear that it hesitates - sometimes 2nd and 3rd.

This has been going on for 12 mons. or so - no slipping in the trans., still strong it just doesn't want to shift properly 80% of the time when it's been sitting for a few hrs.. Is there a RPM sensor around the drive shaft that tells the trans when to shift..? Could that be the problem..? I changed the filter and fluid but that didn't solve the problem.

I've been told there are not any bands to adjust on this trans. and then I as told there are bands to adjust. Is there any bands to adjust...?

Thanks - Cummins - td
Old 10-19-2004, 07:34 PM

First off; yes, there are bands you can adjust, because ive personally done it to mine. I think yours does it just because the tranny fluid is still cold. Mine seems to do it too, when its first started, and i dont think its anything to worry about, unless it just really bothers you for some reason. Good luck

Eric
Old 10-19-2004, 10:16 PM
RCW

I agree with the prior post, adjust the bands first. Then check the throttle valve cable for proper centering. Lastly, be sure your transmission filter is clean, these guys drain back when in park or neutral, so have to pump all that oil back up and if the filter is a bit plugged, they will shift really slow when they are cold.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:58 PM

try starting it in neutral, the tranny fluid should fill the TC and help in shifting in the morning. when it sits all night the TC drains the tranny fluid out and when you start the truck in park the pump doesn't pump, but when its in neutral it does.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:08 AM

Thanks for the information guys - I'll try what ya'll suggested. I keep hearing that the transmissions are the weakest point in an otherwise very strong built truck - do you agree..?

I was thinking of putting the money out for a ATS transmission and TC for my truck. I really like the truck and have had since new but I was wondering if its money spent for a good product. I tow some pretty heavy loads sometimes - horses - skid loader - sand, etc.... I don't feel like spending the money for a new truck or if I even need one but the transmission I beleive needs up grading if I want to keep the truck for another 5 yrs. Any first hand experience in the ATS or the DTT products..? Both are expensive.

Thanks.......
Old 10-20-2004, 07:30 AM

If you really need a transmission after you have finished troubleshooting, you will be very happy with an upgrade.

I went with an ATS. I have had some difficulties, but I don't think that they are representative of the product. Now that things are straightened out, I really love the lock up of the torque convertor.

Others are equally pleased with their DTT, SunCoast, and Goerand Bros. products.

If I were to do it again, I would probably go with a Goerand because it is closer, or a DTT rebuild done at my local tranny shop.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Cumminstd1996
Thanks for the information guys - I'll try what ya'll suggested. I keep hearing that the transmissions are the weakest point in an otherwise very strong built truck - do you agree..?
No.
They are actually a very heavy duty well built tranny. Problem people run into is when they add more horse power to their engines than the trans was designed for.
When my stocker started slipping at 180k I went with Suncoast. Very happy with it.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an ATS stage V and I'm very happy with. Cost a bit, but that was before I found this site. From what I've read you can get a good quality tranny for bit cheaper than what I paid.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:31 PM

I actually think the stock tranny's are very reliable until you start adding a bunch of performance stuf. My TC slips, but not to bad, unless i hook it to a load, and then i could roast it if i wanted, so i just have to go a little easy on it, but i cant fuss about it because it does well overall. Especially after the 3K GSK. I would like to have a better torque converter sometime though, so maybe that will happen for me soon . Anyway, if you want a slightly cheaper, but really good trany, you could try a Goerend bro's tranny. I have never had any dealings with any aftermaket tranny, but i think all the ones listed are good, but the goerend is a little cheaper, and still great from what ive heard. Just research, and call around and talk to the owners/employees of the company's and decide which one is the best for you. Also, if you leave your truck in neutral with the truck running for about 2-3 minutes before you take off, it should do a little better like they said. Good luck.

Eric