12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Tranny fluid boiling out of pan! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny fluid boiling out of pan! HELP

Okay, I know its my own fault but help me out anyways.
Alright, last week i decided to take some of my snowplow equipment from my house with my 96' 3500 dump truck. I had a 6ft sander in the back and a 9ft Fisher plow attached to the front. Did I mention it was like 85 degrees out? 10 minutes into the 1.5hr long drive the truck is seriously overheating, the needle is in the red. I check the coolant, all good. I baby the truck all the way through the mountains up and down with the temp just below the red 230degrees. Unfortunetly that meant going 55 most of the way and my OD doesnt kick in until 60mph, so the converter was unlocked most of the trip. I get to where i needed to be okay. still pretty hot, wait about 2hours before i decide to unload the plow and sander. My mom asks if i can backdrag her dirt driveway first, sure. Can I also push some brush into the woods, sure. I just about done, then i notice a lot of smoke coming from under the truck, rott-roh! I look under the truck and see the tranny fluid gushing out the pan gasket, more like boiling out. I'm thinking about how I drove up her w/o the TC locked up and assume it just royally overheated. I decide to drive my moms car home and come back in the morning with a case of tranny fluid, gasket & new filter. I replace everything start er up and again gushing of fluid violently out of the pan. Oh yeah, did i mention last year i removed my tranny oil cooler because it had rusted out and never replaced? oop, forget to mention that little tiny detail. So now what? what is going on in there and what do i have to do to fix it, easily? The oil was dark brown and there was some gold colored grit at the bottom. I have a parts tranny... another thing was the 2:1 lever had some play like the piston it depresses was stuck in. Okay, now tell me the good news!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:34 PM

wow all that stuff and no guages?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:40 PM

Ya BOILED the transmission fluid??? Let me know if your transmission is NOT ruined, because that is the kind I want.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:54 PM
DTR question asker

I have never heard of BOILING transmission fluid before! WOW.

wow all that stuff and no guages?
/me seconds.

If your stock (I'm assuming) transmission survived BOILING tranny fluid I am going to have to completely change my view on stock 2nd gen trannies!!
Old 07-16-2007, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by MR HYDROSEED
<SNIP>replace everything start er up and again gushing of fluid violently out of the pan. Oh yeah, did i mention last year i removed my tranny oil cooler because it had rusted out and never replaced? oop, forget to mention that little tiny detail. <SNIP>The oil was dark brown and there was some gold colored grit at the bottom. I have a parts tranny... another thing was the 2:1 lever had some play like the piston it depresses was stuck in. Okay, now tell me the good news!

!!!!!!!!

If you were my son I would beat you like a redheaded stepchild.........Man, my kid brother did some stuff like this when HE was your age! Sigh.... that sure sounds like anodized tranny grindings in the oil...... I'm betting your trans is toast - maybe cinders is closer.

So, you buttoned it back up after you dumped the old burned oil and put in new - did you use another (ie, NEW) pan gasket or were you thinking the nice crispy fried dessicated old one would hold oil? I'm guessing the latter. Could be that's why you immediately started hemorrhaging fluid on startup. On the good side, you still have remnants of a pump (at least one) if it only started gushing on startup, not before!

It could be worth another three-four gallons of fluid and a new gasket to see if you HAVE any tranny left, if the poor thing is even semi-operational you will have a real conversation starter - "yes, I do have a core transmission...."
Old 07-16-2007, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much shiny stuff do you see in the bottom of that pan?
Good news is you now have the reason to buy dave's full buildup and not just the converter and valve body ;p
Old 07-17-2007, 03:19 AM

Well at least you didn't blow a headgasket or crack the head. That would've been next...
Old 07-17-2007, 05:08 AM

How long have you been working the truck without a transmission cooler? You will have to pull the tranny and go throuh it, aint no telling what all that heat has done to it. If you did get it going I bet it wouldn't last long or at least I wouldn't trust it.