12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

torque convertor - which one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torque convertor - which one?

Hi all,<br><br>Getting the Transmission rebuilt in 2 weeks and looking for a torque convertor. Checked into DTT and ATS. spendy but look solid. then called a local guy and he found an SLS rebuilt for $300. I am wary of the cost difference between all of these. Thoughts? I just want to buy one and have it installed and not worry for a few years about it since I tow my 13K lb 5th wheel over 20k miles a year. BTW, by taking it easy I did get 93K miles before I had to rebuild this one.<br><br>Don Miller<br>97 CTD #8 plate, Scotty II, 3k gov springs, muffler eliminated<br>
Old 01-09-2003, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:torque convertor - which one?

Remember the old saying &quot;you get what you pay for&quot;<br><br>Buying a TC without a valve body will be a waste a money<br><br><br>Do your homework and buy it once ;D
Old 01-09-2003, 12:38 PM
Chapter President

Bob is correct do the valve body also....personaly I wouldnt deal with a local tranny shop unless they have done upgraded trannys before...most local shops only rebuild to OEM spec's<br><br>There is a advertiser of this site too that does torque converters<br>http://www.suncoastconverters.com/
Old 01-09-2003, 02:47 PM

It is getting a transgo shift kit. that's one reason for the new converter along with the hard towing I do. That's why I was looking for options. I like the BD converter as well. I did look at the SunCoast and have an email to them asking for more info.<br><br>Thanks! Don
Old 01-09-2003, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could check out Dave Goerend Transmissions as well. Goerend I've heard he's pretty good with Dodge stuff.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:43 AM

If you are planning to go with more power, I would suggest<br>a TC and Valve Body, but if you are wanting more then the 350hp at the ground mark, I would suggest a rebuild also and the upgrades to your OD clutches.<br><br>--Justin
Old 01-11-2003, 03:56 PM

ok, you're getting it rebuilt- good. if you were just wanting to add and valve body and converter, that's not recommended with a higher mileage (12v especially) due to the typical internal leaks. as for converters i myself will go with DTT as you can pick many different options (percentages) for your power level. ATS is good in the fact of the lockup clutch discs. do your research, there's a lot of bickering going on.<br><br>Tom
Old 01-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

turbospl311:<br><br>The other members have already given you some good<br>advice on the TC's, valve bodies etc.<br><br>I wanted to tell you that my &quot;stock&quot; transmission lasted<br>to 98,000 miles with just a &quot;Trans-Go Shift Kit&quot; installed<br>in the tranny. At that time I had a #6 TST cam plate<br>in the P7100 pump and my H.P. was around 225. <br><br>At the 98,000 mile mark, I &quot;upgraded&quot; to a &quot;Pro-Torque&quot;<br>Converter which I purchased through Scheid Diesel in<br>Terre Haute, Indiana. They have had very good service<br>from these converters over the last five years or so.<br>They do not cost as much as the converters from the<br>other companies already listed. You might want to give<br>J.P. Pezan a call at Scheid to get a price on this converter.<br>I kept the &quot;Pro-Torque&quot; Converter in my truck for almost<br>75,000 miles with no problems whatsoever!! While running<br>the &quot;Pro-Torque&quot; Converter I was putting down over 400<br>RWHP, so the &quot;Pro-Torque&quot; can take the power. FYI, I <br>upgraded this past summer to the ATS Stage IV am<br>happy with it as well.<br><br>If you are interested here is the number for Scheid<br>Diesel (Terre Haute, Ind.): 1-800-669-1593.<br>You can aslo call Rick or Brian @ their Effingham,<br>Illinois facility. That number is: 1-800-669-1934.<br><br>Good luck!<br><br>-------<br>John_P<br><br>
Old 01-12-2003, 03:24 PM

I second what John_P stated .... I also ran a pro-torque convertor with excellent results all the way to 390 hp, then opted to go with ATS for the triple-lok. You can't go wrong giving Scheid a call ... they will treat you right. If you're in the IN-IL-KY area .. Scheid is your best bet for experienced and top notched workmanship.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:21 AM

I also used the Pro-Torque TC in my 99 Ram. It worked well for daily driving but worked poorly for towing heavy. They still mill the stock stator to lower the stall speed, but this also hurts torque multiplication (see attachment).

This was how everyone made there low stall TC until DTT came onto the market with there custom made stator, it also lowered stall speeds without loss of torque multiplication. The other major manufactures followed the same path as DTT with their new and improved stators also. If you use your truck for daily driving, not towing, it will work fine.

One thing to consider is the Pro-torque isn’t that cheap it’s $795. If I was you I’d get the DTT at $925, you’ll have a much better product in the long run.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:04 PM
Administrator

turbospl311:<br><br>After reading what &quot;Animal&quot; posted, I wanted to let <br>you know that I towed regularly with that &quot;Pro-Torque&quot;<br>Converter and never had any problems pulling either<br>my enclosed cargo racing trailer or my 10,000 lb.flat<br>bed trailer loaded with my tractor. In fact, I noticed<br>a big difference in the way the truck performed after<br>I went to the &quot;Pro-Torque&quot; Converter especially when<br>towing in the mountains.<br><br>--------<br>John_P
Old 01-14-2003, 04:25 AM

John,<br><br>You are correct, the Pro-Torque also worked fine for me in the mountains and flat lands, but that isn’t what the stator is used for. I’ll forgive your lack of knowledge as to the stators operation, many like you are ignorant as to what the stator does. I also was ignorant as to its operation until some research was done thanks to a DTT discussion on stator operation. The stator is only used on the initial start of the trucks movement where torque multiplication is needed; it’s not needed after it’s moving. Read the link below for theory of operation. <br><br>http://www.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm<br><br>As to the heavy loads, I was towing 20,000 to 24,000 lbs. You really can see the difference in a good TC compared to an average one.<br>
Old 01-14-2003, 04:48 PM

Animal ....<br><br>I find your comments about John_P's ignorance to be quite rude and distasteful. John knows alot more than you might think! DO you know him? An apology from you is more than appropriate!<br><br>You are correct about the operation of the stator. My pro-torque had no problems towing heavy ... through moutains, across the grassy plain or whereever I wanted to go. Less effecient - yes ... did it get the job done - yes.<br><br>DTT is producing a good convertor, so is Suncoast and others. I have found the ATS to be better .... not because I bought one .... because I did my homework and compared convertors in many different trucks (stock ones, high HP ones ..ect).... so if you really want to see/feel the difference ... go take a ride in an ATS equipped truck ... tis really a personal preference if you ask me ... put what suits your needs and your desires and you wallet in your truck.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:28 PM
Administrator

___________________________________________<br>Quo te by &quot;Animal:&quot;<br><br>&quot;I'll forgive your lack of knowledge as to the stator's<br>operation, many like you are ignorant as to what the<br>stator does.&quot;<br>___________________________________ ________<br><br>Animal:<br><br>I don't appreciate your comments towards me! And I<br>know what the function of the stator is!! I wanted<br>&quot;turbospl311&quot; to know that not everyone who has had<br>a &quot;Pro-Torque Converter&quot; would consider them &quot;poor<br>for heavy towing&quot; as you said in your post!! Because<br>my truck pulled VERY WELL under the conditions I <br>listed WITH the &quot;Pro-Torque&quot; Converter regardless <br>of you think or say &quot;Animal!!&quot; I also wanted &quot;turbospl311&quot;<br>to know there are good &quot;alternatives&quot; too DTT and ATS<br>when someone doesn't want to spend big $$$ on a<br>TC. <br><br>You are happy with your DTT converter. GREAT!! I liked<br>my &quot;Pro-Torque&quot; Converter and like the ATS Stage IV<br>even better! To each his own.....................<br><br>&quot;Animal&quot; ,.......you are entitled to your opinion, but<br>you don't have to get personal just because someone <br>disagrees with you!!<br><br>-------<br>John_P<br><br>
Old 01-14-2003, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Animal link=board=16;threadid=9425;start=0#91811 date=1042539933]<br>John,<br><br>I’ll forgive your lack of knowledge as to the stators operation, many like you are ignorant as to what the stator does. [/quote]<br><br>Animal, I don't know where that came from, but you obviously don't know John very well when putting out that kind of a statement. John is one of the most knowledgable people on the site, as well as his son &quot;Banshee&quot;. I also don't see where John even mentioned the stator so your statement loses me. I agree with Keith, John deserves an apology for that one.

Quick Reply: torque convertor - which one?