12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Too much Star wheel adj

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much Star wheel adj

Adjusted my starwheeel last week to increase fuelling.
When I pulled my 5vr over the week end the engine seemed to act like it was getting too much fuel when starting out and taking a small hill before turbo spooled up.

Don't get any smoke but I think I am going to back the wheel down a few turns, seemed like the engine ran better, with out stumbling. My fuel filter is pretty new so don't think that is the problem.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 03-01-2004, 05:25 PM

Too much fuel will make smoke. If it doesn't smoke then thats not the problem.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:01 PM

i was considering doing this, does anyone have any pics, diagrams, or other info regarging this. I know i can search, but i like the most up to date info about things and searching is generally a exercise in futility for me
Old 03-03-2004, 12:22 AM

I believe you may have adjusted the wrong way and brought on some turbo lag. The TST #6 under load and with a backed-off afc should give some smoke. As I remember it, the top of star wheel should be moved towards the engine to reduce afc tension for better throttle response.

With TST plates, it is common practice to move afc full forward for full tension release and then start adjusting in tension (opposite of the above) until reaching acceptable smoke level.

Jerry
Old 03-03-2004, 04:49 AM

Remember, moving the wheel toward the fire wall stops the fuel rack. Forward increases fuel and smoke. Forward would be top of wheel away from you. Also, it dosen't have to be a lot. A little will go a long way.

..Preston..
Old 03-03-2004, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the replies. I adjusted my star wheel in the right direction, it is now at the top end of the afc housing and is difficult to reach the knurled wheel.

When the Tst #6 was installed I do not think the housing was moved all the way forward though. Guess I could go back and slide it forward. Would that be worthwhile?

In any case I think I will back the wheel down slightly and see if that helps.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:30 PM

i adjusted my starwheel today also and i noticed a lil more black smoke..how far can the starwheel be adjusted??and how far would i want to??
Old 03-04-2004, 11:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Moving the housing forward is the major adjustment, the star wheel is the fine tuning.
Move them forward till you can't live with the smoke.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:37 AM

Too much smoke means too much unburned fuel. Doesnt this mean it is bad for exhaust gas temps and bad for your engine? I am trying to get better mileage on my 97. I tried turning my starwheel away from the engine to decrease smoke. Will this get me better mileage?
I noticed after I installed new stock injectors I seem to have had more smoke and probably a little worse fuel mileage. The last trip I made I got around 19 mph but this was averaging probably 55 mph with some of it right around 70 mph.
Does anyone have any pointers?
thanks,
Matador
Old 04-30-2004, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
USMC64-70
I had similar results when I turned my star wheel all the way forward. I dont know if altitude makes any difference, but with my star wheel all the way forward, the truck accelerated worse.
It took me several adjustments to find the right place for my star wheel.
It turns out, it was about half way between the stock setting, and full forward.

98 2500
There are some pic, diagrams, and directions on how to do this. It is quite easy.
Try posting your question in the 2nd Gen Performance and Accessories section. You should get good response there.

matador
Too much smoke means too much unburned fuel. Doesnt this mean it is bad for exhaust gas temps and bad for your engine?
Yes, in theory, you are correct.
However, the star wheel only affects PRE-BOOST fueling. The star wheel only affects how much fuel is delivered until the turbo can provide boost.
This is usually a very small amount of time.
Unless your driving around all the time under load and at very low rpms, the amount of time the star wheel actually comes into play is/should be very little.

Rich
Old 04-30-2004, 11:20 AM

matador

Yes, in theory, you are correct.
However, the star wheel only affects PRE-BOOST fueling. The star wheel only affects how much fuel is delivered until the turbo can provide boost.
This is usually a very small amount of time.
Unless your driving around all the time under load and at very low rpms, the amount of time the star wheel actually comes into play is/should be very little.

Rich
So if a person felt he had to much smoke after boost was kicking in where do you find the adjustment for this and is it safe to play around with this. Do you have a link to good info on this?
thanks,
Matador
Old 04-30-2004, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Smoke after the turbo has spooled is a result of not enough air.
First, you should fill in your signature to give us an idea of what kind of truck, trans and mods you have.
Then, in order to keep this thread on topic, you should place your question in a new post in this section.

However, to quickly answer your question, smoke after the turbo has spooled up, is a result of too much fuel and not enough air.
Its a little difficult to help with this until we know more about your truck.

Thanks
Rich.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:36 AM

Thanks DieselDaze. I just filled in signature field. Didnt mean to get the thread off topic.
Matador
Old 04-30-2004, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Thanks Matadaor.
Start a new thread in this section with your original questoin regarding too much smoke after boost.
You should get a good response.

Rich.