12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Tips removing Fuel Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips removing Fuel Injectors

I want to remove my injectors. I suspect at least one bad injector and want to remove all all of them and have them tested. I started with the first injector and realized that I needed a slide hammer to pull it out. According to to my Haynes manual I can first use a brass drift to strike the injector to "break the rust loose if necessary".
I really don't have any rust around my injectors that I can see. So can I strike the injectors without damaging them to free them? Or do I have to use a slide hammer to pull them out? That may be tough seeing that the last 2 injectors are
in a very tight location under the dash/windshield area.
Any other tips removing and installing injectors would be greatly appreciated since I am more experianced on gas powered engines and really havn't had to get to involved with my diesel engine until now.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take one of your lug nuts off one of your wheels. You may need a couple of large flat washers as well, thread the lug nut/washers on to the injector and tighten it down. Presto instant injector puller. Don't forget to put the lug nut back on.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:06 PM

Are you saying that the threads of my lug nuts are the same as the threads
on the injector? I don't want to damage my injectors.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:10 PM

Do'nt forget to keep every thing clean , clean , clean , after pulling each piece , like inj. lines , put plastic caps over inj. compressed air the area , pull inj., make sure you get the washers out , blow again , injector brush in hole blow again , before install with new washers , turn eng. over to blow carbon out ,
Old 01-06-2007, 12:22 PM

Find a nut that will thread onto the top of the Injector body and find a Large Screw driver or bar and pry against the nut. It helps to tap on the end of the bar with a hammer, and they will pop right out.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by ratsun
Take one of your lug nuts off one of your wheels. You may need a couple of large flat washers as well, thread the lug nut/washers on to the injector and tighten it down. Presto instant injector puller. Don't forget to put the lug nut back on.
This works well

even better, find a tube like steel sleeve that will slide over the injectors, then use the nuts as leverage, with the lugnut, apply, twist, pop, and move on.. easy as can be...

Rick
Old 01-06-2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by BobWatts
Are you saying that the threads of my lug nuts are the same as the threads
on the injector? I don't want to damage my injectors.

Yes
My bad it was late last night, I forgot to mention that you need a piece of 3/4"ID pipe that is 1 3/8" long to slide over the injector body then I used a flat washer that had a large (3/4") hole then threaded the wheel nut on top.
Works better than a slide hammer and pulls the injector straight out.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:23 PM

I had a realy hard time getting mine out by just putting a lug nut on them and tying to pry them out. Mine had 330kms on the stock injectors and they were very hard to get out.

Try the pipe over the injector and lug nut trick.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:41 PM

Thanks Ratsun.....I"ll be going to the hardware store tommorow and pick up that piece of pipe and a washer if I can't find them around the house. Sure seems easier than using a slide hammer especially on the rear two injectors that are under the dash/windshield. No room back there to spare.
And John F.....I'll be sure to try to keep everything clean,clean,clean!

Bob
Old 01-07-2007, 11:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What I use is a 1/2" pvc coupling instead of a pipe. Most are 1-3/8" long and cost 25¢. It takes very little torque on the lug nut to pop the injector loose, you'll think you're not doing anything.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:05 PM

Well....just tried to pull my injectors out using the 1-3/8" pipe and realized I only had 1/8" left to put the lug nut. And I still didn't put the washer on yet. I guess my injectors are shorter than the adverage. Please...NO WISE CRACKS!
I"ll try again tommorow with a slightly shorter pipe.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=injector+easy

I've been reading the thread above about an injector tool.
Does anybody know what size nut is used to thread on top of the injector? In the thread about the tool this nut is shown grinded down in order for the black pipe to fit over.

I guess it would be easy if I pulled an injector and took it with me to a hardware store with me, but thought I'd ask here first.

Thank you!
Old 01-08-2007, 01:43 PM

I'm not to sure on the thread but I know one of the wheel nuts fits.
Bobwatts, its strange how 1 3/8 would be to long? I have used the same piece on a couple of trucks and it worked great. Could you just grind a 1/8 off? Let us know how you make out.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...=injector+easy

I've been reading the thread above about an injector tool.
Tom, you're looking at a puller for 24 valve injectors, an entirely different animal.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Wait, I'm cunfused...

That link that I provided was from the first generation DTR websits, and they are all 12-Valve. Am I missing something?

Quick Reply: Tips removing Fuel Injectors