12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Those that own both 1st and 2nd gens - school me

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those that own both 1st and 2nd gen 12V's - school me

In our family we have two 1st gen trucks and I am going to be selling our W350 5 speed ext cab. It will be replaced with either a W250 1st gen ext cab or a 2nd Gen 2500 12v (4x4). An extended cab 2nd gen will obviously make a more comfortable family friendly traveling and tow rig.
However, I have never owned a 2nd gen 4x4 12v truck and I have been getting up to speed with the differences over my 1st gen trucks. It seems the CAD (central axle disconnect) and T-case set up is a less than an appealing design to me over the 1st gen NP205 and manual locking hubs (more complex, less reliable, expensive parts etc). Are 2nd gen owners finding the CAD system reliable? Things to look for or be aware of?
Parts and repairs would seem to be steeper overall as well. Yes/no? The P7100 seems like a more complex beast than the VE as well. The 2nd gen trucks are more cramped under hood and a bit less access friendly for repair and maintenance. Every generation has its positives and negatives and I would like to hear them all from those that own both. What do you like and don't like about either one and why? I am just trying to make the right decision before buying so any and all feedback is much appreciated.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The P7100 is probably the best part of the 2nd gens-----it is basically a bullet-proof fuel injection system capable of some impressive power output; also will pump/burn anything with a carbon atom attached to it The CAD isn't much of a problem, I bet I get a million miles out of my fleet without an issue with it; 4X4 is used at least weekly as well. I've changed a few front axle seals (drivers side is a real pain) and a dozen ball joints so far. Lukes link on all the front sway bar "things" which keep the axle from sliding side to side; my trucks aren't pampered either. The 2nd gens have a way better interior and don't make near the wind noise going down the road when compared to 1st gens. If you think the 2nd gen under-hood is cramped; take a look at the new stuff on the market---good grief. If you get one; fix the dowel pin and fuel lines, then the 5th gear nut if a manual and/or build up the automatic tranny if you plan on any engine mods. Great trucks, I'll probably be buried in one
Old 04-01-2012, 06:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Iv` had both although my 2nd gen was a 1/2 ton gasser, I loved that truck, except for the payments and front suspension it was a superior platform than a 1st gen. If I was in the market and a good deal came up I`d buy it as most of the suspension issues have been solved by the aftermarket (trackbar and front hubs mainly). The CAD system would be the least of my worries, but cracked dashboards and rusty doors are another matter,lol. They definitely win in the interior dept...by a mile, quieter, more room and just overall more usefull,esp if you need to carry more than 2 passengers.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like the CAD system isin't necesarily a weak link. I have read threads of those needing to R&R their 2nd gen transfer cases to replace the chain in those units that are prone to stretching? Sounds like the 2nd gen 4x4s just have a shorter life front end (ball joints as opposed to king pins) and disposable/non servicable hubs. Softer ride I take it in the 2nd gen 4x4s?
Old 04-06-2012, 03:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the 2nd gen is the vp44 24 valve junk. the p pump is still 1st gen and the p pump is the best
Old 04-06-2012, 03:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by carl48
the 2nd gen is the vp44 24 valve junk. the p pump is still 1st gen and the p pump is the best
P-pump is second gen not 1st.

Was offered from 94-98 5.9 12v.

http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/12v.html
Old 04-06-2012, 05:33 PM

Biltit is correct.

Also, I have 300k on mine CAD has never been an issue. And I plow with mine (5 driveways, not commercially)
Old 04-08-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carl48
Uh, NO. Not at all correct. except the p pump is the best part.

I had a 91 W250 regular cab. Looked for over a year to find my 2nd generation like I wanted. Love it. Rides better than anything I have ridden in. Quiet, smooth. I used to be worn out when arriving at the campgrounds with the old 1st gen, now it is no sweat. I have modified mine to fit me, but it rode good stock. The only thing I wish I could have is four doors. Not willing to pay another 50K for the two extra doors though
Old 04-08-2012, 02:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks for the correction. i think the late p-7100 pump is the best ever made.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:49 PM

My dad has a '92 and '93 and I have a '94.

The Gen 1s are pretty good 1970s technology and engineering.

The Gen 2 simply a better truck.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 PM

I have had 3 first gens, 2 second gens and 2 3rd gens. I would trade my 3rd gen back for a second gen in a heartbeat. The only thing best on the first gens is the old sqaure body.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by whiskers
I have had 3 first gens, 2 second gens and 2 3rd gens. I would trade my 3rd gen back for a second gen in a heartbeat. The only thing best on the first gens is the old sqaure body.
Did you find any front end draw backs to the 2nd gens you had? What were the specfics you find superior with the 2nd gens? Under the hood access for maintenance and repair in the 2nd gen trucks is a bit tighter, correct?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:33 PM

I love the first gen body style but powered by second gen engine and to have the suspension of 3rd gen would make a perfect truck in my eyes.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:52 PM

Fast59 is right. it would be a good combo. I have not really seen a problem working working on the 2nd gens. A bit less room, but not unworkable. The p pump is practically bullet proof and easy to get power from. Better mileage than the VP44 but maybe not equal to the VP. I got 23 out of most of my 1st gens, but some ran 3.07's. I got 21 out of my 2 2nd gens with 3.55's, and I get 19 out of my 24valve now. The front ends are not that bad , it depends on how they are treated and maintained. i just did all ball joints, pitman,idler, shocks wheel bearings and DDS in my 3rd gen, tie rods were all right for some reason. For around 5 bills, didn't think that was all that bad. Now that's 2wd though. They friends I have with 4x4's haven't had real problems with theirs either, but we are old farts and work our trucks, not beat them to death. i loved all my 1st gens, but the dashes were always falling apart or speedo quitting, rattles everywhere, weak door sheet metal, etc... and my 1st gen 4x4 beat me to death. The second gen is so far better in comfort, and other than the weak dash which is easily covered or the gas sending units which are easy to fix, they are much better overall, I just wish they had kept the old body. There is nothing prettier even now. I wouldn't give you a nickle for anything past 2nd gen now. i got this 3rd gen because my wife wanted quad doors. Wish I'd traded wives!
Old 04-11-2012, 11:45 PM

The 2nd Gen trucks might be the best looking pickups ever.

It was that truck, starting in 1994, that changed the market segment. Both Ford and Chevy took their cues from Chrysler after that truck came out. It really was a "game changer."

From the bigger, roomier cab to the interior layout to the "big rig" styling, the 2nd Gens set the new standard and truly launched the pickup wars into orbit.

Quick Reply: Those that own both 1st and 2nd gens - school me