12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Suddenly won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Suddenly won't start.

Parked my 97 2500 and turned off the other day and walked kids to their classrooms at school. 3 minutes later, turned key and no start. Turned over strong as ever. Has new battery and year-old starter. Kept trying to turn over. Nothing. Guage says I had fuel but went and got a couple of gallons as it seemed to be run out of fuel. Still nothing. Had it towed to work(warehouse) and tried to figure it out. In total, turned over about 100-150 times. Proud of battery. Jumped a couple of times. Disconnected batteries to reset computer. Changed fuel evap. filter (very nasty- overdue for changing). Burnt up starter in process. Today I'm replacing starter, bleeding air out of lines (pump-button method), and probably recharging battery. Fuel is being delivered to filter at least so I guess pump is working. All fuses tested OK. Don't have very sophisticated tools but need to figure this out. Running very well before parked. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Hoping it's something simple as I make my money with my truck. No truck=No $. Please help.
THANKS!

Also--- HUGE Thanks to everyone who helped with my Tranny problems last year. Turned out OD clutches were gone and a soft-parts rebuild by Cottman's with high-end clutches did the trick.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:17 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
You need to check that the fuel shutdown solenoid is operating. It's on the side of the injector pump. The solenoid should lift the lever when you put the key in "start" position, then it should stay up when you return the key to "run" position. Go crank the starter then leave the key on (run position). If the shutdown lever isn't held up, lift it up and see if it will stay.

If you find this to be the problem, it could be a failed solenoid, or the blue wire at the driver side battery positive post may have a bad connection.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:10 PM

want crank

You need this!!

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/c...uery=retrieval

Brand new sealed in box, this is the update kit. Paid 405 each from Dodge, I am about giving it away!!

180.00 shipped to lower 48 states, I have 2 new ones left!

email me at watersracing@bellsouth.net
Old 04-30-2005, 04:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Highly doubt the solenoid is bad, most of the time the problem is corrosion on the blue wire from the driver's side battery or a bad relay. If the relay is bad buy a new one here http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/default.htm or pay three times more at the dealer
Old 04-30-2005, 05:18 PM

lol

that is the old style that cummins dont even sale anymore, that is why it is so cheap, it is small and Cummins new it was a problem that is why they came out with the larger on like I have for sale.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:07 PM

It's also a part he very likely doesn't need.
The shut down solenoid is the most needlessly replaced item on a 12 valve, the problem usually lies with the blue wire or relay.
About the only time the solenoid fails is if the starter sticks due to bad contacts thus energizing the lift up coil in the solenoid causing it to overheat. When this happens there is an obvious burnt smell sometimes along with burnt wiring and even a fire.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:33 AM

I dont know alot about the Dodge ABS, but I do about the 5.9 cummins, I run a shop of 700 buses and trucks and we have over 200 5.9's and I have replaced many od these over the years, Even the 8.3 has the same thing and in a bus it does not have the "blue wire". In the add you listed it that guy is selling the old outdated kit that cummins does not use anymore. It is just like the starter contacts everybody pushes that "larrys' sells, you can get them at any electric rebuilder for way less than what he sells them for. The Dodge truck like any thing need s to be checked before you buy parts for it, The blue wire and relay are easy to check, if that doesnt work you will need a solenoid. Cummins knew this and that is why the new kit has the large one in it.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by Hyper
In the add you listed it that guy is selling the old outdated kit that cummins does not use anymore.
I didn't recommend that he replace the solenoid just the relay if needed, I leave that expensive mistake to you.

I've worked on thousands of 5.9 over the years, the only solenoids that needed replacement were a result of overheating or erroneously throwing parts at the problem.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:27 AM

parts

Like I stated he needs to check everything first, but they do go out and they do quit working because of rust and dirt and sometimes they burn up. May be his problem and may not. But if it is I have the updated kits alot checper than you can buy them for. I am not in a pissing contest here, just wanted to let him know I can save him money if he needs one. That is all!
Old 05-01-2005, 10:50 AM

Thank you all for your insight.
Went and replaced starter yesterday and bled fuel. I guess that I bled all the air out of it. I suppose that there are still air gaps within the injector lines and turning starter will eventually force it out. Just trying to be careful with that because several mechanics and truckers have told me that the injector pump is very fragile. One told me yesterday that he was sure that the pump was history and that was my problem.
I'll pray that he is dead wrong and stick with the advice you're giving me here. Going out this afternoon and will test shutdown solenoid, relay, and blue wire. May replace blue wire anyways as that area has history of corrosion and may be rotten internally. New starter is tough.
Visited all the links you guys have given here and learned alot. Now just want to be sure I replace the right part.
I'll let you know what it is.- THANKS!!
Old 05-01-2005, 11:24 AM

have someone pull up on the solenoid when you trie to start it, Just grab it and lift it up, if it starts then you know the fuel system is good.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:09 PM

relay

i had the same problem and it turned out it was just the relay, the selinoid doesnt have to be strong as you can feel how easy it is to get fuel to the pump by twisting the shaft the selinoid hooks to, im goin with bill on this he hasnt steered me wrong yet, and the relay wasnt but 45$ from dodge and that beats the price of a selinoid anyday and there is a blue wire that has a fuseable link in it.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may have a crossover fuel hose that has gone bad and loses pressure. Your symptoms are the same that I had when my 96 2500 would not start.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:29 AM

is that the return line your talking about, if so i havent ever seen one that wont start due to a bad overflow valve, just the low rpm miss and instability, my guess is thefuse or the relay, check them and if the selinoid is lifting up properly and holding then check for fuel at the pump, if it has fuel itll start thats the coolest thing about a diesel engine
Old 05-03-2005, 11:34 AM

I think the guys that suggest the injection pump is probably gone are mistaking your truck for a later model, since the injection and lift pumps on the 24v engines are much more prone to go out and much more fragile. Just my opinion.

Waylan

Quick Reply: Suddenly won't start.