12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Steering Stabilizers how do you tell?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:28 PM
J_T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Stabilizers how do you tell?

The output shaft seal on my gearbox let loose today and dumped the entire contents of the powersteering system in 30 secs. I was at work and I had to drive it home without powersteering! I have 35" BFG ATs and I couldn't keep it in my lane on a Rt hand turn! I've had trucks with large tires in the past that I've had to deal with problems but I don't remember as hard to turn!

Well I was thinking...I thought the steering stabilizers are supposed to assist and decrease the effort of the powersteering system? Am I correct?

The reason I ask...the previous owner put an extra dual setup on as well as an aftermarket one in the stock location making 3 steering stabilizers. Back in Feb when I was getting all my steering repaired they warned me that steering stabilizers can sometimes hurt the steering and give the power-system something to work AGAINST? I didn't pay it any attention because I was spending enough money with them I couldn't afford anything else anyway. BUt today without power steering....it wasn't tough...it was impossible! if I couldn't have taken the interstate with large cloverleaf exit ramp I couldn't have driven it through town with the turns required!

How can you tell if the steering stabilizer is working...or if its worn out...or if its working against?

I need to fix this...I could remove them and drive it...but I don't want to drive it on an empty system anymore than I had to, to limp it home. I just don't want to mess-up a relitively new gearbox...even though I will have to repair this seal!

ANY help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

J_T
Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
stabilizers do not assist the stearing , they are simply horozontal shock absorbers !
givs you that smooth feeling in the stearing wheel .

yes they prob add strain to the stearing box , an the faster you turn the wheel = more strain !

disconnect each one and extend it and compress it , there should be resistsnce all the way both directions !
Old 09-13-2007, 09:34 AM

your going to ruin the power steering pump driving it with no fluid in it, might have killed it already....

and i doubt your stabilizers are bad, they are just like stated in the previous post, shocks for the steering system.

and i had my truck run out of fluid once.... impossible to turn the wheel, and i only have the single stock stabilizer so its not your stabilizers that are affecting the effort required.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to take the strain off the gearbox shaft, install a DSS. The steering dampers will allow you to move them slowly, but try to move them fast and they resist. Keeps bump steer from happening.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:40 PM
J_T

I already have a DSS....I put it on the same time I replaced my gearbox...But AGR is telling me that I probably have too many steering stabilizers. that its working against the steering system? and that is why it failed after 6 months. I'm going to start a new post for this. its starting to turn into a steering issue now.