12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Steering Gearbox problems.. Need help!! Cant drive my Diesel!!! SOS!!! ;)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Gearbox problems.. Need help!! Cant drive my Diesel!!! SOS!!! ;)

Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9 i6 and no steering/brake vac... steering is seperate system from brake (my friend was suprised but i dont know why.....)

I am having a huge problem with my steering gearbox, i bought the major seal replacement kit, (2nd time i've replaced seals on the pitman spindle and the first time was just a kit for the spindle to the pitman arm seals, was a simple take it out and put new stuff back how old stuff came out...) and i think theres something wrong.... the sheet i got with the new kit looks like it was photocopied from a photocopy of a photocopy and is different then how i replaced last time (assuming previous owner had problem and screwed it up) so i cant tell which seal is the upper and which is the lower or what direction they go in.... can anyone help me? theres one seal with a lil round spring in it that has a plastic type washer that fits on it, a metal washer, u clip and second seal that just has a lil metal ring in the rubber... the kit paper said it was an upper seal(cant tell direction of seal or which one) against the bearing, then a washer(plastic or metal?!), then lower seal and another washer then the uclip....anyone know what seal goes where and in what direction? also need to know how to adjust the adjuster nut on the top of the spindle to adjust for proper pre-load cause im pretty sure it got Messed up when i was messing around today... 12 hours i wasted and in the end it was peein out more PS fluid then b4 i started.... HELP!!!!!!

DOWN WITH PARTS THAT HAVE PHOTOCOPIES OF PHOTOCOPIES FOR INSTRUCTIONS FROM NAPA!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2009, 10:44 AM

i would just replace the box at this point its going to be less frustrating but you should be able to pull the part numbers off the old seal and cross it to the new seal most parts stores have the ability to do this then see if you can find an exploded veiw of the box. i personaly have never had much luck rebuilding them and after many tries have decided it best to buy a rebuilt box i just replaced mine with one from napa i paid about 250 for it but i think they are more for off the street customer i have a commercal account with them
Old 07-18-2009, 11:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've found that when the box seals need to be replace several times it's because the shaft is twisted.
Happens from hitting curbs, rocks etc.
Replace the box.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:40 AM

I second just replacing the box, I had 92 F250 once, that the snap ring groove was wore out just from the abuse of the roads, and winters, replaced the pitman shaft seal 3 times because of it. I would no sooner get the system primed again, and spit the seal back out.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:24 PM

yea, its looking like replacing it is the best course of action, because i managed to get it sealed up and working, but it just went again while hauling a load of rock in a dump trailer... to much frustration and headache, gonna just pull the old one off and put a new unit on.... less work and less mess..and the new one is only 300 with a 290 core charge from napa.. so easy enuff to do and not as bad as i thought
Old 07-25-2009, 03:55 PM

Before I replaced my gearbox I replaced the seal as directed by the instructions.
Th seal then blew out again so I replaced it the same way I took it off because the original owner never touched it. When that one blew out i replaced the gearbox.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:15 PM

My seal was leaking and I just replaced the box. After I did some researching thats what everyone says to do.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:03 AM

yea its kinda easier to just replace the whole box then just the seals..... seals cost 40$+ but the entire box w/o and wear n tear costs only 300