12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Star wheel quicky...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star wheel quicky...

I haven't moved it yet because the allen key covering it is screwed down tighter then I thought was possible. I know the former owner never touched it. Has anyone else been the original opener of this? <br>On a side note, I have not put in gauges yet. Should I wait for them before I go screwing around with that?<br>Thanks, Jeff
Old 02-08-2003, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Star wheel quicky...

Yep, I just smacked it with a small hammer( enough to break it loose) . Firm taps would be another way of saying it.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:50 PM

I think you have the 215hp pump and that usally run a little hot when you move the stock plate. I ran at 300hp before I got guages but that is with a 180-hp pump. I say you would be safe if it is just a daily driver but not if you pull a lot. I would not want you to burn up the engine/turbo.<br>Get the guages. Girls like them so do most people but the girls/better halfs are the ones that count :<br>
Old 02-08-2003, 03:56 PM

the afc controls low end fuel which will not effect egt. a gsk kit is usually needed to get into the higher rpms anyways (although the 215 pumps run hotter). the 8mm allen plug is very tight- i thought that i was going to snap the allen wrench when i first took it off. once off, then just move the wheel forward with a flathead screwdriver.<br><br>Tom
Old 02-08-2003, 04:08 PM

oops I thought you were talking about slideing the plate also.<br><br>Small voice says put down the beer and step away from the computer.<br><br> : ;D<br>DM01
Old 02-08-2003, 05:14 PM

Yeah I'm not going to fool around with the plate yet, I just want to see if the star wheel gives me a little more pick-up. I guess I will just put the allen wrench in and give it a few taps. Everything else is stock so I just wanted to make sure that by me moving the wheel I wouldn't blow or burn up anything. I mostly just use it as a daily driver but I do more towing come summer time.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:12 PM

Hey fellas,<br><br>I'd like to get in on this too. Before I go through more money in going to a different plate, I would like to try this star wheel adjustment thing too. You can see the rig I have below....<br>What will adjusting this wheel fwd do for me? How many &quot;clicks&quot; fwd and where the heck is it? <br><br>TJ
Old 02-08-2003, 08:33 PM

the plug/screw is on top of the AFC housing which is on top of the injection pump (towards the rear of the truck/pump). the screw is about an inch in diamater. when it is opened, you'll see a star wheel. moving the wheel towards the front of the motor allowa for more low end fuel (the more fuel, the better the low end acceleration, but the more smoke too!). however, a few turns (it doesn't click, just turns) with a hi-flow air filter allows for little smoke with waaaay better spool up than stock (my k&amp;n and star wheel are setup so that there's only a small puff of black smoke. there would be a lot more smoke if i had the stock restricitive filter on it). spool-up now seems almost non-existant now whereas stock you're talking maybe 2 1/2 seconds to get spooled up.<br><br>i had my truck to the point that i purposely got lots of smoke, however, smoke doesn't equal power.....but it does look cool 8)<br><br>Tom
Old 02-09-2003, 05:23 PM

I finally got it open today after about 3 smacks with the hammer. I didn't move it because it looks as though it's all the way over already. I talked to the previous owner, also a friend, and he has never done anything to it. Could tis be done at the factory on a 96? I have no smoke except for start up.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the wheel can go as far forward as to almost not be reachable with a screwdriver, up under the casting for the allen screw. But you might as well nudge the plate a tiny bit since you're in there.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:39 PM

Yeah I moved it a bit, but I don't want to go so far that I won't be able to pull it back if I ever have to. How would I move the plate forward? I know nothing about how to, or what it looks like.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:51 PM

TST products has good info. on their site. Take a look at the below link, then look around the rest of the site. Excellent company and products. I have their #10 plate.<br>http://www.tstproducts.com/power_kits_trial.htm <br><br>Gene
Old 02-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Lon

Don't get too carried away with moving the plate farward. .020 to .030 is all that is needed and is not a big deal to get some added low end power. Too far forward and you can get into some pretty high EGTs without trying hard. A Pyrometer is cheap insurance when you are pulling and especialy after you start to feel what these engines are capable of and start bombing. A high flow air cleaner and 4&quot; exaust will be the most advised when you get the bug and want start preparing the truck to blow the competition into the weeds. Happy Bombing!
Old 02-10-2003, 10:59 PM

I just adjusted my star wheel this weekend,... To loosen up the allen screw I just tapped around the outside of the plug four times, once on each corner, and the gripped the allen wrench with vise-grips. The plug loosened up real easy that way. I then ran the wheel all the way forward. The test drive was great, locked out the overdrive and flogged off my quarter mile, give or take. Feels great. Quite a bit extra down low for just ten minutes from hood up to hood down.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:05 PM
Chapter President

I am very,very new to the diesel world. Although I understand the general mechanics of how they operate, I am just beguinning to learn about the ins an outs of these great motors. I just purchased a '97 dually w/ 4.11 gears (i believe beins at 65mph i am at 2200-2300rpm.). How would this paricular adjustment affect my mileage?

Quick Reply: Star wheel quicky...