12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

somethings still not right..HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
somethings still not right..HELP

ok guys, this is a long story so bear with me. about 2 weeks ago i was having problems with my truck starting on a regular basis. (starter would spin but engine would not turn over.) i checked my fuel pressure and it was really slow to build so i replaced my lift pump. now that cured my problems for about 5 days. when i started having the same problems again, i had my starter re-built, replaced my fuel shut off silnoid, and shut off silnoid relays. what i found was i had some sort of short somewhere. when i would put a new relay in, and then plug in the shut off silnoid i would pop the 10 amp fuse inside the cab of my truck..we couldnt find the short anywhere. we even went as far as un-plugging the grid heaters, and still nothing. as a last resort we by-passed the silonoid and relay all together with a manual fuel shut off cable. removing the bracket, and shut off silnoid off the side of the motor. good news, my truck is running and working well with the manual shut off cable. bad news, the truck acts like ive slid the AFC housing back or spun my star wheel all the way in. the truck doesnt want to rev very high and wont smoke at all...when i can normally black out a 4 lane hwy. my boost, and egt readings are exactly the same as before the shut off cable was installed. im at a loss guys, maybe there is an avenue here i am yet to explore??? has anyone on here run into any of these problems??? TIA
--chris
Old 12-18-2005, 12:36 PM

Have you thought of the overflow valve? Try looking here for help: http://www.dodgedieseldatabase.com/i..._diagnosis.htm
Tom
Old 12-18-2005, 02:14 PM

my overflow valve was just changed out.....i think i have a better idea how to install the manual shut off cable.....i think the way the cable is installed now its limiting fuel to the injection pump....
Old 12-18-2005, 03:09 PM

It sounds like you've already spent too much $$$ , its a little late , and if your problum goes away with what you've done then you'ld be spending $$$ to go back to stock , if you brought it to a shop thats got a good rep. for electrical problums than you might be $$$ ahead , now your getting into a spot where if you did need a shop to look at it for that or something new they may want to make it stock or not work on it , same with resale if that become a thing in the future, with an unknown short you don't know if its going to cause more issues in the future. Just a thought on a giude for aproaching problums , if you go around problums insted of fixing then its like having a truck that there is no manual for. If you need to fix yourself you might want to go to a SnapOn truck to let a good dealer help guide you in finding the right tools to fix things , in this case there are a couple of tools just for locating shorts , if your resonable with there time and there a experanced dealer , they can be a big help in finding the right tool for the job and ideas to use them.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:00 AM

Sounds like you have the idea. The cable you put on must not be getting full travel to the arm ont he pump, therfore holding fuel back.Readjust it to get full traver, and try it again. I think thats your problem

Eric
Old 12-19-2005, 11:15 AM

yeah the cable that's in the truck right now is cut a little short, there is about 1/4" play in the lever....which is enouigh to hold it up so it will start and run but not high enough to give full fuel to the pump......it helped that i got some pictures from a buddy to see how he hooked his cable up...