12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Sick Of It! Its still burning up. HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sick Of It! Its still burning up. HELP PLEASE!

I am ready to let this thing burn up and start over!!!
Yep, frustration has set in. My truck wants to go, but the engine temp. holds me back.
Below in my signature shows what I have got in my truck. I have been researching, and done what I could with the truck by myself, without giving it too much downtime. Got nowhere but deeper in the hole by spending cash on stuff I didn't need trying to give it a band-aid.
I just got another vehicle so now I can afford to tear it down and get serious.
I started a few threads a long time ago concerning OVERHEATING.
I am stumped. Here is a list of some stuff I have done and the symptoms my sick truck has. I have been told the timing is to far advanced, and that I need a better turbo. I HAVE NO CLUE. Hopefully this is where you guys come in.

NEW PARTS:
-New Radiator ( Flushed out engine too)
-New T-stat (180* cummins brand not the "el cheapo")
-New Water Pump
-New fan clutch
-Distilled water, Royal Purple coolant additive

SYMPTOMS:
-The engine temp will climb only when I am pulling a load. (It will climb up to 230*+ in a flash if I keep my foot in it)
-The EGT's have gone up to only 1150* or so post turbo.
- I have checked to see if the head gasket is blown but water level is consistent, and reservoir is at the right level.
-When it's normally driven it gets up to operating temperature (180*) and stays there.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Wow 1150 post turbo? You do realize that is 1450 pre turbo don't you? That is too hot a temp to sustain in a 12 valve without doing damage. This is why you NEVER hook up a pyro probe post turbo unless you have another one pre turbo so you know what the engine is actually seeing in the way of temps.

You do not have enough air with all that fuel you are using especially when you are towing a load. If I were you I would send off a sample of the oil so you can find out what the internals look like.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:58 PM

What^^^he^^^said. 1250 pre turbo max
Old 01-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Wow 1150 post turbo? You do realize that is 1450 pre turbo don't you? That is too hot a temp to sustain in a 12 valve without doing damage. This is why you NEVER hook up a pyro probe post turbo unless you have another one pre turbo so you know what the engine is actually seeing in the way of temps.

You do not have enough air with all that fuel you are using especially when you are towing a load. If I were you I would send off a sample of the oil so you can find out what the internals look like.

Ding! We have a winner.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:06 PM

I got oil samples through CAT and everything was okay. (Forgot to state this)
That EGT was maxed out, the hottest I ever got it, going up major incline with two heavy rock crawlers on a gooseneck. Yeah it is pretty scary... It runs about 600* post turbo normally driven over small inclines without throttling it up the hill. Or is that normal?

So air IS the issue... I am pulling about 34 or 35 psi with my HX-35, the wastegate is capped as well. Good/Not good? It will also continually blow black smoke as well in the top end, but very little compared to the black cloud from the initial spool up.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:11 PM

As already said, you need less fuel or more turbo.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would do some more research about what mods work well for what you want to do with your truck.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Timing and turbo... Higher EGT's run directly into higher water temps. To me late timing will also cause higher EGT's and more heat into the block. A larger turbo won't give you more boost PSI, but more flow through the engine which in turn will get rid of the soot and heat.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:20 PM

I was looking into the hx-35/40 hybrid from Pure Diesel Power. Would this be applicable for my issues? or an HX-40 alone?
Do I need to spend over a grand on a turbo to make this combo I have actually work?
I know I've got a lot of questions but I am willing to listen to whatever information I can get, and I appreciate what I have already got.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
12 valvers don't breath so well either, so there is a balance of how much "towing" power you can utilize before heat becomes an issue. What is home for you? Climate/altitude can play a big factor as well.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:40 PM

Yep, Southern New Mexico, but this is an issue even in the winter time. The elevation is about 4,000, and I really don't even push it that hard.
This is pretty bad when I can only use half of my throttle and have to keep my eyes on the temp guage more than the road. I have watched stock 12 valves blow by me as if I were pulling a D-9 dozer.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow 1150 post turbo? You do realize that is 1450 pre turbo don't you?
That's assuming only a 300° difference.
I've known guys with both a pre and post gauge who have seen over a 500° difference, that's way into the danger zone.

Check timing, my bet is it's way off.
While you're at move the pyro to pre turbo.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:26 PM

I will move the pyro up on the manifold, no biggy.

As for the timing... If I remember right it was set at 16.5* or 17* in 06' before I bought it. Is that ridiculous?
Can it shift (retard/advance) into a grey area of a time bomb?
How do I simply "check it"? I have read a little on timing and it does not look to friendly to deal with. Or do I just have cold feet?
Old 01-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by infidel
That's assuming only a 300° difference.
I've known guys with both a pre and post gauge who have seen over a 500° difference, that's way into the danger zone.
Agreed...I should have said that it was a minimum of a 350 degree difference.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:00 PM

Okay, I will move the pyro, So....

As for the timing... If I remember right it was set at 16.5* or 17* in 06' before I bought it. Is that ridiculous?
Can it shift (retard/advance) into a grey area of a time bomb?
How do I simply "check it"? I have read a little on timing and it does not look to friendly to deal with. Or do I just have cold feet?

Will the HX-35/40 mod get me out of the red zone? Any other turbo recommendations to cool my truck down and drop my blood pressure?

Quick Reply: Sick Of It! Its still burning up. HELP PLEASE!