12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Second tank using anither soctk tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second tank using another stock tank

I heard from a friend that some one had used a Stock Ram Fuel tank and installed it some where under the truck. I think maybe between the frame and bed side like some of the older Chevy's were. Has any one seen any info on this. I have an extra tank and I am thinking that I might be able to do this. I have a 96 Dually club cab
Old 01-08-2007, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking under the bed I dont see how another OEM would fit anywhere. You can fit a couple 12gallon tanks in front of the leaf springs, but the only other way I see is to get custom tanks to fit up in the space between bed and bedside. Maybe a spare tire tank? Theres a lot of room in that area, and weight there will increase traction.
Someone makes saddle tanks also, but theyre not cheap. They fit in the space in front of and behind the wheelhouse hump in the bed.
Best way to determine the size tank you can stuff in there is to make a cardboard mock-up first. You can find tank sizes and dimensions on mfr's web sites.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by kawi600
Looking under the bed I dont see how another OEM would fit anywhere. You can fit a couple 12gallon tanks in front of the leaf springs, but the only other way I see is to get custom tanks to fit up in the space between bed and bedside. Maybe a spare tire tank? Theres a lot of room in that area, and weight there will increase traction.
Someone makes saddle tanks also, but theyre not cheap. They fit in the space in front of and behind the wheelhouse hump in the bed.
Best way to determine the size tank you can stuff in there is to make a cardboard mock-up first. You can find tank sizes and dimensions on mfr's web sites.
Seems like I saw on here some time ago a link to extra fuel tanks that were designed for the spare tire area.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:16 AM

I think the ramcharger tank will fit about where the spare goes. Their tank fills the area between the frame rails and is mostly square. How would you tie the two tanks together? You would probably need a diverting valve, I believe JC whitney sells an aux tank kit. Be careful, no galvanized tanks with diesel.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally Id look for another marine tank made from high density polyethylene or nylon. Those hold up to diesel fine and theyre really thick so theyll take the weight. Youll also be able to get a fuel level gauge and sender with it easier. You might need to fab a hangar across the frame rails thats good for that kind of weight. Figure the fuel is close to 7lbs/gallon I think. You could weigh the spare tire and compare the weight.
Youll need a feed and return pipe, Id get a pair of vulcan draw straw 2's for that. The marine tanks have a single feed straw inside, then the return isnt under the fuel, can lead to air in the lines. Then youll need a fuel selector switch. You can use pollak fuel switches for this since the fuel isnt hot theyll hold up fine. Youll need to switch the feed and return at the same time, so get a 6port switch.
If you feed and return to two tanks at once you run into problems with level. Too much in one tank and too little in another. Good way to overflow or draw air.
check out tempo's web site, they list the capacity and dimensions on a pile of different sizes.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:19 PM

I may also look into fabbing up a tank myself. I allready have a grease tank in the bed butI really want to get back the full use of the the bed space. so this will be a grease tank. I currently run the return line back into the input of my grease filter this helps heat the new oil befor it runs into the heated filter.
I do not heat the oil in the tank right now but I may in the future. I have had only a few issues when it is cold. the oil is plenty hot when it get to the motor but some times a little slow coming out of the tank when cold.
I was also thinking about a Suburban tank..

So what is the deal with galvanized metal and diesel?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by kawi600
Personally Id look for another marine tank made from high density polyethylene or nylon. Those hold up to diesel fine and theyre really thick so theyll take the weight. Youll also be able to get a fuel level gauge and sender with it easier. You might need to fab a hangar across the frame rails thats good for that kind of weight. Figure the fuel is close to 7lbs/gallon I think. You could weigh the spare tire and compare the weight.
Youll need a feed and return pipe, Id get a pair of vulcan draw straw 2's for that. The marine tanks have a single feed straw inside, then the return isnt under the fuel, can lead to air in the lines. Then youll need a fuel selector switch. You can use pollak fuel switches for this since the fuel isnt hot theyll hold up fine. Youll need to switch the feed and return at the same time, so get a 6port switch.
If you feed and return to two tanks at once you run into problems with level. Too much in one tank and too little in another. Good way to overflow or draw air.
check out tempo's web site, they list the capacity and dimensions on a pile of different sizes.
Couldn't you find a way to connect the bottoms of the two tanks with a pipe and a little bit of fab work? If your worried about to much transferring from one side to the other on turns you could always find a way to baffle the pipe inside.