12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

rotate TPS

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rotate TPS

Ive read about widening the bolt holes on the TPS to rotate it one way or the other to get the correct voltage to get it working right. My problem is that I cant find which way to rotate it to get LOWER numbers. My OBDII scanner got a "TPS High voltage code" and I need to rotate it to get my OD to kick in, because thats the big problem I am having.

I can get it out fine, I can do all the modifications, but I am at home and do not have a voltmeter or help to get the readings. Any help would be great.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
There are 3 clips that connect the TPS pot to the terminal pegs on the outside of the TPS where the plug plugs on. These clips are a major problem. They are not a good connection and corrode easily. Add the water and crap that seeps past the seal in the TPS and that accelerates the problem. The lower terminal is the ground which collects the most corrosion because it is at the lowest point. This causes an open circuit on the ground and causes the computer to throw a TPS high voltage code.

With that said drilling the TPS mounting holes and adjusting it is not going to do anything for you. You have a few choices.
1 Get a new TPS but they cost $$$$$$
2 Try adding a 220uf capacitor between ground and the center terminal to clean up the signal. If the corrosion is too bad this will not help.
3 Waste your time drilling a hole in the TPS cover and spray tuner cleaner or WD in it.
4 Do the dash mounted pot mod and lose the TPS functions.
5 Use care to cut the cover off the TPS and remove the clips, clean, bend the tabs tighter, reinstall with dielectric grease and epoxy the cover back on. This is what I did because I did not want to spend the $ for a new one and the dash pot did not cut it for me. I took pics and planned to start a thread on it because I have never seen a post covering the defective clips but never got around to it. My TPS works great now but it is not for the non mechanically inclined.